specs for low mount pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specs for low mount pickups?

I'm familiar with the basics (magnet types, pickup design, wire gauge, etc) and how they relate to overall sound and output, but I have a design consideration that has stumped me. I'm not sure about how the mounting height of a pickup affects tone, assuming the output were not a consideration. I've got a playing style that clashes with the middle pickup when they are adjusted to sound/balance right. I want the strat sounds but need to lower the middle pickup flush to the body. what design considerations should I consider when looking for/custom winding a hot middle pickup to sound like a standard one if it's more than a quarter inch lower than the others?

Welcome to the BC.
    I guess use a Pickup with hot A5 Magnets.
    Anyone got any good ideas for Wolverine?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I had the same problem, my fingers and pick would always hit the middle pup on a strat.... so i got rid of the middle pickup! a lot of players don't use the middle pup anyway, and there are still plenty of sounds you can get out of the neck n bridge pups with different wiring if you need the variety.

otherwise, maybe neodymium magnets would help?

Comment

A5 ,A8 or Neo magnets ,Keep in mind there are a few strat enthusiast that like a weaker middle pickup that is quite low compared to the other 2 pickups for the 2 & 4 quack
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          A5 ,A8 or Neo magnets ,Keep in mind there are a few strat enthusiast that like a weaker middle pickup that is quite low compared to the other 2 pickups for the 2 & 4 quack
          so, stronger magnets, same winding as the rest? I'm thinking of going with a p-rail in the bridge, or maybe an L-500. just need to spec out a neck/middle to match. Ideally I'd hide the middle pickup under the pickguard like the fender marauder prototype, but that might prove problematic. I'm hoping for a solid distorted tone from the bridge humbucker, a hot single coil neck for legato leads and then something to give me a nice "quack" tone when matched with the other 2. I doubt I'll use the middle on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by smiling wolverine View Post
            so, stronger magnets, same winding as the rest? I'm thinking of going with a p-rail in the bridge, or maybe an L-500. just need to spec out a neck/middle to match. Ideally I'd hide the middle pickup under the pickguard like the fender marauder prototype, but that might prove problematic. I'm hoping for a solid distorted tone from the bridge humbucker, a hot single coil neck for legato leads and then something to give me a nice "quack" tone when matched with the other 2. I doubt I'll use the middle on its own.
            If you put it under the pickguard, it truly is a long way to the strings.
            I would mount it regular and lower it so It's not in the way.
            Usually to get that pretty quack the middle is hot and high.
            Another factor on Quack is taller bobbin pickups usually quack better than short bobbins.
            I made a Bridge and Middle just for a guy to play in position 2.
            I made both pickups a little taller and wound them hot, but not too hot.
            They had that great Quack, and Spank! He loved them.
            So gang, how do you like to make pickups to Quack good?
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

You're stuck with alnico rods if you want that true strat tone but if youre not going to use the middle alone you won't notice much volume drop when in parallel anyways. Look into super switches its very easy to wire for the following.
              Bridge
              Bridge/mid
              Bridge/neck
              Neck/mid
              Neck

This eliminates the position entirely and gives you the bridge/neck combo which is a favorite of mine, drop the middle pickup out of the way and call it a day. I wouldn't miss match magnets and powerful rods tends to add a certain brightness and resonant peak I'm personally not a fan of. Also with the super switch you can go farther to seperate humbucker coils when running parallel for noise cancelling with a rw/rp mid giving noise cancelling everywhere but neck only.
              Bridge full
              Bridge south/middle north
              Bridge north/neck south
              Neck south/mid north
              Neck only

Comment

Working...
              X