Just Because I "Can" - A Silly Winder Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Because I "Can" - A Silly Winder Build

Insomnia got the better of me the other night. I couldn't trust myself to do any quality work with no sleep, BUT… I found inspiration in the kitchen while making some soup.

I think I'll make the traverse arm out of a fork or spoon.

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
    Insomnia got the better of me the other night.
    Have you tried melatonin- it has worked great for me.

Great idea! I've been wondering about a winding machine that doesn't set me back $400. My only concern with the can opener is that it is designed for intermittent use. However if it isn't opening cans and turning gears there would not be much of a load on the motor so that shouldn't be a problem. Keep us posted!

I wish I could find a motor like the ones that came with Erector Sets in the early 60's. I just have a vague memory of it but I do recall a lever that would switch speeds.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
      Have you tried melatonin- it has worked great for me.

Great idea! I've been wondering about a winding machine that doesn't set me back $400. My only concern with the can opener is that it is designed for intermittent use. However if it isn't opening cans and turning gears there would not be much of a load on the motor so that shouldn't be a problem. Keep us posted!

I wish I could find a motor like the ones that came with Erector Sets in the early 60's. I just have a vague memory of it but I do recall a lever that would switch speeds.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
      I know the vid was a novelty, and something to do.
      But, Steve if you just want to make an inexpensive occasional pickup, the Dewalt, or similar cordless drill is hard to beat.
      Been using one for years, off and on between other winders.
      I made a small jig that I mount the drill on that fits on a 2x6 board.
      PM me a email if you want a picture, not much to look at, but works great.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

What's going to be really amusing (and sad) is if this thing winds nicer sounding pickups than my other 5 or 6 winders covering a range of about 60 years of technology. lol!

Comment

Working...
        X