No announcement yet.

Wide Range Humbucker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need bobbin dimensions to update a pickup data base I'm working on.
    If someone has a bobbin, and can measure it would be greatly appreciated.
    Philadelphia Luthier has the Covers.
    Pickup Making Parts - Pickup Covers - Humbucker - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC
    Here's the dimensions of the cover.
    These have a 2 1/8" (54mm) pole spacing
    Overall dimensions are 3.125" x 1.75" x .64" (79.5mm x 44.4mm x 16.3mm)

T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I need bobbin dimensions to update a pickup data base I'm working on.
      If someone has a bobbin, and can measure it would be greatly appreciated.
      T
      If nobody has an original bobbin to measure, it shouldn't be too hard to get close by using what we do know. Overall cover 3.14" x 1.77" so take half of that, then subtract a little more (say 1/8" per) for the outer bobbin width and length. From my post and notes we know the coil height is 3/8".

Now we need to calculate the inner core dimensions. Coil height is known at 3/8". I'm guessing that the Magnet diameter is about 3/16", so we have to allow a little more again say 1/8 " for the mold to get the width. Then all we need to consider is inner length..with about 55mm for pole spacing and again adding a little more (say again an 1/8").

You should be close if nobody actually has a original to bobbin to measure and cares to share.
      =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

I agree, I can get close off the cover dimensions.
        I will beat on that tonight, when it gets quiet around here.
        The cover info said it was 2-1/8 inch center to center on the poles.
        When you say 3/8" bobbin height?
        Is that 3/8 between the flats?
        Or overall bobbin height.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

big_teee

I agree, I can get close off the cover dimensions.
          I will beat on that tonight, when it gets quiet around here.
          The cover info said it was 2-1/8 inch center to center on the poles.
          When you say 3/8" bobbin height?
          Is that 3/8 between the flats?
          Or overall bobbin height.
          T
          By coincidence I have a bastard WRHB project underway. I like to build deviant Teles and so far have one with a Lollar Charlie Christian neck with my own 40 gauge wound bridge utilizing steel pole pieces with rare earth disk magnets. Have another with a Bigsby tremolo and 2 Lollar Gold Foil pickups. Both guitars are built from parts and play and sound nice.

Found the Philidelphia Luthier Supply covers and was going to simply build the largest bobbins that the cover can accomodate to allow practical assembly. I don't really care about having the pickup sound like the originals or share original construction so my plan was to use qty 3, low carbon steel rods as pole pieces for each coil and make the bobbins deep with a powerful rare earth disk magnet on each pole piece. The pole pieces will not be adjustable. Currently I want to try 38 gauge on the neck and 40 gauge on the bridge. If this doesn't work I can go to 42 gauge on both pickups.

On an earlier thread there were discusions that using only 3 pole pieces per coil would offer less humbucking but could provide different tone since less destructive cancellation of harmonic content would occur in a set of coils. Will probably build so I can add pole pieces or partial pole pieces if required.

Will build using the standard large WRHB covers and have an inexpensive standard swamp ash body that I will route to handle the pickups.

RM

Comment

Originally posted by roundmidnight View Post
            By coincidence I have a bastard WRHB project underway. I like to build deviant Teles and so far have one with a Lollar Charlie Christian neck with my own 40 gauge wound bridge utilizing steel pole pieces with rare earth disk magnets. Have another with a Bigsby tremolo and 2 Lollar Gold Foil pickups. Both guitars are built from parts and play and sound nice.

Found the Philidelphia Luthier Supply covers and was going to simply build the largest bobbins that the cover can accomodate to allow practical assembly. I don't really care about having the pickup sound like the originals or share original construction so my plan was to use qty 3, low carbon steel rods as pole pieces for each coil and make the bobbins deep with a powerful rare earth disk magnet on each pole piece. The pole pieces will not be adjustable. Currently I want to try 38 gauge on the neck and 40 gauge on the bridge. If this doesn't work I can go to 42 gauge on both pickups.

On an earlier thread there were discusions that using only 3 pole pieces per coil would offer less humbucking but could provide different tone since less destructive cancellation of harmonic content would occur in a set of coils. Will probably build so I can add pole pieces or partial pole pieces if required.

Will build using the standard large WRHB covers and have an inexpensive standard swamp ash body that I will route to handle the pickups.

RM
            Good Luck with your project.
            I was just chasing factory bobbin specs to put in my pickup data records.
            If anyone has a Wide Range bobbin laying around, please measure it.
            T
            Terry

Comment

TBH, I've not even been in the same room with an original Wide Range, so all I'm about to say is speculation in its purest state.

Having said that, I think you should all look at the patent. It's been granted to Seth Lover.

Once you get the bobbin's dimensions, my take is to make'em out of forbon.

As I see it, this design is not that much more than two strat p'ups wired in series humbucking-style, enclosed in a big Faraday cage, and I don't mean it as derogatory, mind you.

HTH,
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

For My Records, for the time being, I went with these Core dimensions of the Wide Range Pickup.
                These dimensions would be for a plastic bobbin and rewinding info.
                If Forbon and rod magnets are used then the length and width would be less.
                Wire 42PE, and 5300DCR ohms.
                Turns is around 6600.
                Core Length= 2.40"
                Core width= 2.56"
                Core Height= .375
                Flange = .75

T
                Last edited by big_teee; 05-24-2015, 03:33 PM.
                Terry

Comment

T,

In answer to your question, Between that flats.

Jim

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                    T,

In answer to your question, Between that flats.

Jim
                    Thanks!
                    Now I'm working on the Charlie Christian Data.
                    Anyone have dimensions on the CC?
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Now I'm working on the Charlie Christian Data.
                      Anyone have dimensions on the CC?
                      T
                      Never had an original in-hand so can't help you there...would be curious myself.

Jim

Comment

We get questions now and then about where and how to get parts for a wide range type pickup.
                        I ran across this on amazon, and it looked interesting.
                        http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Humbu...0Z97HB7Q1BTYJ8
                        You could substiture Alnico for the Ceramic magnet, if you wanted too.
                        I like all the wood parts, I would probably use polyurethane, to seal all the wood parts against moisture.
                        Wax potting may seal the wood and would probably accomplish the same thing?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I have wound a handful of humbuckers with wooden bobbins. This particular set is ebony. Also I did a bunch of rewinds on 1960s Fender Mustang pickups. The customer wanted staggered magnets on the rewound pickup bobbins. So I replaced all the magnets and he let me keep the original Mustang magnets and I used them for this particular ebony set. Great sounding humbuckers. Very bright for a humbucker and a more true single-coil tone when split. I didn't make the bobbins myself. I'm just not a woodworker (though my father was a carpenter by trade before he was stricken with muscular dystrophy mid-life). A friend made the bobbins. This set went to Hare Guitars in California.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickc35 View Post
                            I have wound a handful of humbuckers with wooden bobbins. This particular set is ebony. Also I did a bunch of rewinds on 1960s Fender Mustang pickups. The customer wanted staggered magnets on the rewound pickup bobbins. So I replaced all the magnets and he let me keep the original Mustang magnets and I used them for this particular ebony set. Great sounding humbuckers. Very bright for a humbucker and a more true single-coil tone when split. I didn't make the bobbins myself. I'm just not a woodworker (though my father was a carpenter by trade before he was stricken with muscular dystrophy mid-life). A friend made the bobbins. This set went to Hare Guitars in California.
                            With that said does the parts in the ad look like a good deal and buy?
                            Thanks for the input!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

bobbins overall .75 wide 2.95 long .375 tall core length 2.375 X .25 wide X .25 tall taken off an original The parts phil luthier has are the ones I designed for a manufacuter of parts taken fromfrom original 70s widerange and they are very close to original- there is always some slight difference in thousandths from the drawings you make to the final product. there is also a steel inductance plate with 6 holes that fits under the bobbins. The other amazon link- those are just standard import bucker baseplates.

Comment

I really wanted to recreate these widerange humbuckers. I finally dove in when i saw that the threaded magnets were available. I had no sources for reflector plates, or good bobbins. Others are having them machined and some stuffing awg 42 on the reissue bobbins made in korea. I broke down and sent an original bobbin to the plastic injection mold place and for a fortune, they made a mold that spits out the original size bobbins. I have to buy a minimum of 1000 per order. lol but has made my life easier and found another builder who buys these from me to recoup my investment.

Comment

Working...
                                X