Wide Range Humbucker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide Range Humbucker!

Up for discussion is the Fender Wide Range Humbucker?
    As I understand it there was an original, and I think Much later the Reissued Version.
    Not Sure, I have practically no info right now, but maybe the original used rod magnets, or variations of them?
    I think the reissues maybe employed Bar Magnets?
    Not sure of the bobbin heights, or the string spacing used on the neck, and bridge pickups.
    I'm interested in doing a project, and making a semi half/A$$ Clone.
    The later part would be because I want to use a regular 2 point mounting baseplate, not the original 4 screw, that required a 4 screw ring.
    That way it could be used in a regular ring with 2 center adjustment screws.
    So if anyone has one laying around that they could provide some specs that would be great!
    Thanks,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

The polepieces are the magnets in these Terry, They're threaded CuNiFe rods. It measured 11.2k
    I tried this one in a couple different guitars. There's nothing "remarkable good" that I found about them. When I was offered a bunch of money for it, I didn't hesitate to sell.

edit: I've never tried a repro

Comment

There is currently a discussion over in Amp Theory and design that got me intrigued.
      If we could come up with a cover, maybe drill a blank cover.
      I thought maybe do 3 alnico rods on each side,(These would be under the cover).
      The 3 screws on each side with maybe have a ground off narrow ceramic magnet on each side, to power the screws?
      Just in the "What If" stage I go through from time to time!
      BTW thanks for the great pictures.
      All of my Pictures and PDFs got Eaten by the last Forum Catastrophe!
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

The overall size of a WRHB is much larger than a regular h/b. Building one with normal parts wouldn't give you much more than a slight resemblance, and certainly wouldn't accurately reproduce the tone. I think I took some measurements. I'll check my notes.

Comment

Just found this.
          http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachmen..._wrhb-dims-jpg
          They are huge.
          This is turning out like most of my Pipe Dreams!
          We can still make a mini clone.
          T
          Here's the dimensions of a regular gibby type bucker.
          http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...itars/tb59.gif
          Last edited by big_teee; 05-11-2013, 10:25 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            This is turning out like most of my Pipe Dreams!
            You give up too easily. If I were to go about making one that was close to the original with readily available parts I would make the coil forms with some cut down strat flatwork. I'd probably use A2 magnets, and offset them similar to the original. It's not too difficult to make a "one off" cover out of sheet material by folding, and soldering the corners. ... just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
              You give up too easily. If I were to go about making one that was close to the original with readily available parts I would make the coil forms with some cut down strat flatwork. I'd probably use A2 magnets, and offset them similar to the original. It's not too difficult to make a "one off" cover out of sheet material by folding, and soldering the corners. ... just sayin'
              All good ideas!!
              The big humbucker like the link I gave, is way too big for a regular guitar.
              So If I go that route, more than Likely stick to Gibby Dimensions.
              That was the same issue whith Charlie Christian.
              If you built it, then it wouldn't fit anything, so these great big Pickups lose their appeal with me real quick!
              Fun to think and talk about though.
              T
              Terry

Comment

The RI fake Wide Range humbuckers use a bar magnet & in under & are wound different the the original WR pickups ,Different gauge of wire as well.
                I rewound a set for a customer last fall ,I ditched the bar magnets & used alnico rods .
                I shaped the alnico rods & slotted the top just like the original magnets .the customer was pleased but now I figured it was more trouble than its worth
                big ass bulky humbucker that dont fit in anything ....What was Seth thinking
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

A big part of the WR tone is the very wide spacing ,It's probably 55mm wide .

Comment

I have samples of the threaded alnico rods
                    But the supplier sent me 2 magnets of 2 different lengths as samples ....wtf ?
                    So there goes the prototype .
                    When mojo starts selling them ,I don't think they will be cheap ,probably a buck50 a piece or more

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      I have samples of the threaded alnico rods
                      But the supplier sent me 2 magnets of 2 different lengths as samples ....wtf ?
                      So there goes the prototype .
                      When mojo starts selling them ,I don't think they will be cheap ,probably a buck50 a piece or more
                      I don't think Mojo is going to sell individual parts to make WR clones. They know very few makers out there can make a vintage-spec'd clone. And they can get a lot more money for a completed pickup than they can for the individual pickup parts. Maybe someday when all the big pickup makers are making WR clones and the market for them thins out Mojo may offer the parts. Us small-time winders can only hope.

Crazy Parts sells covers and base plates to make WR clones. I have heard from a couple of small-time winders who have made WR clones, if you use the top flatwork only for a Tele bridge pickup for the top and bottom to make the bobbins, the string spacing matches a WR cover. So if you bought cover and baseplate from crazyparts.de and made bobbins from the top flatwork of Tele bridge pickups, you would still need to fabricate the steel plate which sits under the coils. I've heard .020" thick will work well. Then the last component needed would be the threaded rod magnets. The small-time winders I've talked to just used alnico rods in place of the thread rods. So you can come pretty close to vintage spec. And if you're lucky enough to find threaded rod magnets, then you're all the way there.

Comment

You might want to check the Telenator website and the tdpri forum. Probably not a lot of specs, but there might be some ideas on how to proceed.

Comment

Unless you're just going for the fender look, conventional humbuckers IMO are a better choice.
                          Either a 49.2, or 50mm works fine at the neck and a 53mm bucker will work at the bridge.
                          I just rewound a fender type humbucker that came out of a 88 american HSS strat.
                          It had the bobbin wires that come out the back of the baseplate, like the WR.
                          What a backward way IMO of doing things.
                          I will stick to the Gibson design bobbins and baseplates whenever, and wherever possible!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get bobbin dimensions for an old orginal type Wide Range Humbucker?
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Does anyone know where I can get bobbin dimensions for an old orginal type Wide Range Humbucker?
                              T
                              From my notes on Original Fender Wide Range Humbucker (WRHB)

The physical design of the bobbins were slightly larger than a traditional Gibson humbucking. Bobbins were white as well as black. Tool mark number 010194 on each bobbin. Each coil bobbins were identical. Bobbins had a solderable tab to aid in the assembly of the hookup wire. The originals had a magnetic coupler reflector plate between the bobbin’s bottom and the baseplate.

Targeted turns per coil is near 6700 with both plain enamel or poly 42 gauge magnet wire being used. Bobbins were wound clockwise. Typical DC resistance readings are around 10.5K ohms. Bobbin height is about 3/8”.

Magnets were threaded CuNiFe rods. Each bobbin had 6 magnet rods only three of which were seen through the cover. Some people mistakenly believe that each bobbin had only 3 magnets...this is simply false. The reissues were not faithful to the original design, in fact they are really closer to a more traditional HB rather than the 70s WRHB but they look similar in outward appearance. Just goes to show---you can't judge a book by its cover.

Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by Jim Darr; 05-23-2015, 09:26 PM.
                              =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X