Please suggest KT88 tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please suggest KT88 tubes

I'm looking for a quad of KT88s. Suggestions wanted!!
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

KT88 for what amp or at least what B+ range? I've had good luck lately with JJ, in amps up to 550V. Not so good luck with EH, their screen grids packed it in fast, and I mean in hours not months or years of use. I put a China-made one to good use in a THD Univalve which drew an unbelievable 100 milliamps at 400V but works & sounds good.

For hi voltage amps like SVT say 700V, I don't know what to say. You might contact Jim McShane in Chicago. He sells lots of tubes to the hi fi crowd (who consider him to be a saint) but he'll deal with guitar amp techs too. I've heard the KT88's sold currently as "Gold Lion" are extra tough, but plan on paying $55-60 each, last I checked. Might be more by now. These are marketed through New Sensor as are Sovtek, ElectroHarmonix, Tung-Sol and a few other brands, all currently produced in Russia. None of my muso friends want to pay the extra freight so I have no first-hand knowledge on the GL's. FWIW Jim is NOT a fan of JJ's except perhaps for their EL84.

There's something nice & plush about KT88's in guitar amps.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Interesting, thanks!!

Comment

I had JJs in my Marshalls. Loved them !

Comment

The friend asking me for advice... I don't think he was particularly impressed by my info on KT88s. He vent for 6550 instead. Lol

Comment

Well they are a little less expensive. Sure wish he had tried KT88s though. I think they have a bigger sound ,BUT...

Comment

Originally posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post
              Well they are a little less expensive. Sure wish he had tried KT88s though. I think they have a bigger sound ,BUT...
              He had KT88s in this particular amplifier. I guess he felt a little crazy and just vent for it. :-)

Comment

He asked me to swap these tubes and adjust the bias. And well, guess what, a quad of 6550 sitting there waiting. After a power stage fuse and the tubes were swapped it sounded good. He claimed to be in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
                  He asked me to swap these tubes and adjust the bias. And well, guess what, a quad of 6550 sitting there waiting. After a power stage fuse and the tubes were swapped it sounded good. He claimed to be in heaven.
                  What brand of 6550?
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X