Pickup winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup winding

Hi I'm curious if anyone knows how to make a high DC resistance pickup with only moderate output? if you look at the SD YJM fury, the bridge has a 25.65k DC and a 25.45k DC on the neck! but its got moderate output! HOW???? As far as I know, to get that high a DC the pickup needs to be over wound. but normally a pickup wound enough to hit that high a DC would be hotter then watching a strip show at a Caribbean volcano while eating raw chillies. So anyone know how its done? is it the wire gauge? maybe a special coating on the wire? any ideas?

Probably very small wire, maybe 46 gauge, and mild magnets?
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

small wire is a possibility. but normally smaller wire normally means it has to be wound more. though there could be another factor about small gauge wire. I doubt the magnet is weak though, the power form YJM furys are insane

Comment

Originally posted by krulty View Post
        small wire is a possibility. but normally smaller wire normally means it has to be wound more. though there could be another factor about small gauge wire. I doubt the magnet is weak though, the power form YJM furys are insane
        If you know the answer, why ask?
        Which is it, moderate power, or insane, you said both?
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

lol. cause I dont know. I'm just trying to figure it out, like i said small wire is a possibility, I just dont know enough about how wire gauges affect tone

Comment

Just Razzing you!
            Here, try the Coil estimator.
            Coil Estimator
            Set it to PAF 50mm and change the wire size to 46 Gauge.
            Select 12000 ohms, and that would be for one bobbin, 2 combined would be 24000 Ohms.
            Terry

Comment

It's a stack design ,so forget about thinking that is as loud as a 25k real single coil or traditional humbucker
              basically it's probably only half that or what ever winds are on the top bobbin -if that makes sence .
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                It's a stack design ,so forget about thinking that is as loud as a 25k real single coil or traditional humbucker
                basically it's probably only half that or what ever winds are on the top bobbin -if that makes sence .
                Thanks Copper, I didn't know it was a stacked pickup.
                He needs to read about the stacked we did in the Beginners Corner.
                http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32472/
                In a stack design the pickup will only be as loud as the top coil.
                In the test stack I built it was around 21k DCR.
                It was actually louder split to the top coil, than with both coils.
                But, you get humbucking with both coils.
                T
                Terry

Comment

but according to SD's tone chart 25k is its full DC, its tapped DC is around 12 DC. the YJM is a full humbucker just stacked for single coil looks. Main reason I'm trying to work this out is I want to make a pup with a similar tone. but in a true humbucker build, not a stacked single

Comment

but according to SD's tone chart 25k is its full DC, its tapped DC is around 12 DC. the YJM is a full humbucker just stacked for single coil looks. Main reason I'm trying to work this out is I want to make a pup with a similar tone. but in a true humbucker build, not a stacked single
                    A stacked is wired just like a regular humbucker.
                    This is what Duncan says about the Pickup.
                    "Hum-canceling single-coil-sized pickup based on our original Stack® pickup design. Recommended for rock, neo-classical, shred, hard rock, power metal, and heavy metal."
                    Terry

Comment

looks like you might be right about the wire gauge terry. apparently by using thin wire you get higher resistance but not necessarily more output.

Comment

krulty: "...but normally smaller wire normally means it has to be wound more."

What does this mean? The same number of turns of a smaller wire gives more resistance. If you are trying to get as many turns as possible onto the two coils of a single coil-sized stacked pickup then you use small wire and get high DCR.

You cannot make a true humbucker (that is, two coils sensing the string at different locations) sound like a pickup that senses each string at a single narrow location, especially the bass strings.

If you want to get something similar, you need to make the humbucker have a similar resonant frequency and Q, both measured with guitar cable in place. But you cannot duplicate the unique sound of the higher string harmonics of the bass strings with a normal humbucker.

Comment

looks like you might be right about the wire gauge terry. apparently by using thin wire you get higher resistance but not necessarily more output.
                          Read post 50 and beyond on this thread.
                          http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32472/
                          I went through the trials and tribs of the project pretty good.
                          Your mileage may vary, but it is a good place to start if you are going to build one.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Ive got a super 3 25kohm dimarzio its not 44 or 46 unless its mismatched coils I've done a few 30k winds with 46 and they're brighter than my s3 pup. There's a lot of compression when using pups that high, you lose dynamics and attack but gain mid range like crazy. For metal they sound great put a 7 string in drop Ab and watch most pickups have to much bass, having the eq focused on the mid range let's you control top and bottom on the amp or post-fx. I have a spool of 48 but I break it in the first hundred winds every time I try lop. If you got any high output questions I'm happy to help its sort of my specialty and where I started, I'm a founding but ex member of dweller and play generally death core/metal ans the opposite end of the spectrum blues/classic rock

Comment

You can only get more output if you have more turns. That is why you use thinner wire especially on a small pickup: to get as many turns on as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X