What do the companies do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the companies do?

Do companies still hand wind? Or do they use CNC winders like I am seeing alot of people on here do. When I say "hand wind" I am referring to using a schatten type thing and their hands. I know companies like Duncan, Dimarzio etc probably use automated CNC type devices, but what about smaller companies like Lollar? I want to get into pickup winding, but If im going to do it I am going to start out with a pre-made winder and all of the tools, I dont want to have to worry about home-brewing devices, and then I can concentrate on winding amazing coils. However my main issue is, if I ever want to make a business out of this like 5 years or something down the line, will I be able to actually make products without a cnc machine? One of the reasons I want to get into pickup winding is the ART of it, and I want to be able to supply my friends and family with amazing pickups, if people decide they like them enough to want to buy it, that a bonus. I just want to know if people are actually hand winding pickups outside of their shops, or to a quality "production line" standard. Thanks in advance guys!
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Handwinding + some smoke & mirrors & a touch of snake oil is it = Sales pitch
    There are a ton of new winders every week with the 5 year business program ....Were all gonna starve
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I'd say 5 year from now would be 15 years too late but who knows what's going to happen. I keep bumping into guys on the net who just started making pointy guitars and have orders out the wazoo to local hicks still living in the 1980s.

Comment

Anymore I just make pickups for me, and the way I like.
        If someone else wants one or two, then that's a bonus.
        I agree on the 5 years too late.
        Market already over saturated big time Now.
        But, good luck in whatever you do!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

What I was trying to say was don't discount your local market. You might be able to sell a good number of pickups to locals but eventually that will dry up and either you will have developed a wider market by then or not. Then again if you were born to make the worlds best pickups there won't be any stopping you.

Comment

Yeah I would say I only sell about 2 sets a month so far, if that; but I do have a budding relationship with builder or two, as well as a recording musician, that may take me on for a long-term partnership if they like the gear. It definitely is not something that would pay any bills at this point, and won't be for a long time I imagine. I can't say you guys didn't warn me though; but I am in it for the long haul

-Rob

Comment

I would say that there's room in the market for more winders. I suppose one has to offer something special in terms of service, custom work, or original products, and offer it in a way that will get the attention of the right people, then provide a quality product that exceeds their expectations to keep their attention and get it snowballing.

All I know is that my evening project to save money buying pickups, by making them myself, totally flopped. I spent WAY more money, and even buy WAY more pickups form others now. I guess it's been about 2.5 years since my first public video with a company name on it. I had to quit my day job a few months back because I couldn't keep up with the pickup work. I've barely scratched the surface with original designs so far, so it's probably not that in my case.

Really, I'm surprised. I didn't expect my hobby would consume my life at first, then carry me through it after. I still treat it like a hobby. I make most decisions with the same mindset that I had back when I started, as if every pickup was going to be in one of my own guitars. I've had to learn to be a little (allot) tighter on the funds though. I still have many mistakes and more chances to learn ahead of me. I look forward to both. It could all go down the tubes tomorrow. Who knows? I'm enjoying the ride today, either way!

Comment

There may very well be room for more Winders?
                If you compare it to Real Estate?
                I would definitely Call it a "Buyers Market".
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Make something different from everyone else. Then you will stand out. Offer something no one can get elsewhere.

That's why I stayed away from the typical Gibson and Fender copies for the last 7 years.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Make something different from everyone else. Then you will stand out. Offer something no one can get elsewhere.

That's why I stayed away from the typical Gibson and Fender copies for the last 7 years.
                    Do you have any patented designs David?

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
                      Do you have any patented designs David?

No. I have some unique designs however. One thing about patents, it's the fastest way to show everyone your new idea!

I started out by making pickups for my own personal use for instruments that I had built. So now when I have something I like, I add it to my pickup line. So far I have been focusing on bass pickups, as I'm primarily a bass player, but I started out on guitar, so I have been working on some designs for my own personal guitars. When I get a few that are different from the very crowded market, I'll start selling those. I also play lead guitar in a heavy grunge band, so I'm my own pickup tester lol
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I also play lead guitar in a heavy grunge band,....
                        Hey, haven't I heard one of your songs on the radio...."Smells Like Geezer Spirit"?
                        Sorry, couldn't help it.
                        Last edited by rjb; 06-02-2013, 01:43 AM. Reason: Changed geriatric to geezer- scans slightly better.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                          Hey, haven't I heard one of your songs on the radio...."Smells Like Geezer Spirit"?
                          Sorry, couldn't help it.
                          I used to sing that with a cover band a few years back...

This is the band.... Nikolitsa and the Comrades

Comment

I like this one.

Comment

I used to sing that with a cover band a few years back...
                              A mosquitow,
                              I forgot how.
                              A big horse fly,
                              I forget why....
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X