Pocket Amp project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Amp project

Hey, Im new here, and Im sure that Im going to ask some horribly moronic questions. This sort of stuff is out of my wheelhouse but I have a project and im a little lost so I need some help from some much more knowledgable gents!

Basically, I want to make a pocket amp circuit for an onboard guitar amp. And I know there are some kits available but I have a little bit of a curveball that makes me wonder what I need to get or what I need to change to make it work. The curveball being that I want to change out the speaker in the pocket amp for a tactile transducer I have.

SO!.. Could I get a kit/parts to make something like this:
    Assembled Kit Portable Guitar Amp w/ Speaker & 10X by hesslerk

BUT.. Change out the speaker for this:
    HiWave HIAX32C20-8 32mm Self Supported Exciter 8 Ohm 297-2114

I feel like the answer would be no due to the output or power supply but I dont really know. If this wouldnt work, what would I need to change to make it work. I like that particular size and output of transducer/exciter but I want a small amp circuit that could run it. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Is the tactile transducer that you have the same device you link to, or is it smaller, say... much, much, smaller?

Without knowing the specs on the amp kit's schematic, It'd be an educated guess. The transducer is going to expect a high-current, low-impedance source (the Output Transformer - OT - in a guitar amp) and the 'amp on a chip' device will likely not be optimized to match that. Long story short, if they are mismatched then very little of the 9V power source will make it into your transducer. For the itty bitty amp you need a small driver, like the one pictured in the kit.

Course you won't know until you try it!!
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      Is the tactile transducer that you have the same device you link to, or is it smaller, say... much, much, smaller?

Without knowing the specs on the amp kit's schematic, It'd be an educated guess. The transducer is going to expect a high-current, low-impedance source (the Output Transformer - OT - in a guitar amp) and the 'amp on a chip' device will likely not be optimized to match that. Long story short, if they are mismatched then very little of the 9V power source will make it into your transducer. For the itty bitty amp you need a small driver, like the one pictured in the kit.

Course you won't know until you try it!!
      The transducer in the link is the same transducer I have now. I really wanted to use something similar in size so that I could have that level of output. Although it is not entirely essential. Could you give me an idea how much smaller I would need? Would I need a lower ohm value? Would something like this work:
      HiWave HIAX25C05-4 25mm Classic Exciter 4 Ohm 297-2103
      Or if that would not work, what about something like this (that has its own power source)
      Amazon.com: OrigAudio ROCK-IT Portable Vibration Speaker 3.5mm USB!: Electronics

Could anyone suggest an amp circuit schematic that would work with one of these?
      I apologize for being difficult. Essentially I want to to have a small enough amp circuit and power supply to have it be onboard the guitar. I want to pass the guitar output through it and to an onboard transducer that will excite the guitar chamber itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnagogia View Post
        ...Essentially I want to to have a small enough amp circuit and power supply to have it be onboard the guitar. I want to pass the guitar output through it and to an onboard transducer that will excite the guitar chamber itself.
        Um, a positive feedback machine?
        May I ask WHY you want to do this?
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          Um, a positive feedback machine?
          May I ask WHY you want to do this?
          The guitar would have separate resonation chambers. And because I really like the idea of turning the guitar itself into its own speaker. Ive used these transducers to turn acoustics into speakers for stereos. I want to make them a speaker for their own music

Comment

That kit probably uses the LM386 chip which is ubiquitous to these small battery powered amps. The most notable commercially is the Smokey Amps and on the DIY side I believe the Ruby Amp and Noisey Cricket projects are all 386 based. A 386 is quiet comfortable driving an 8 ohm load, so I don't see any obvious reason why it wouldn't be able to drive that transducer you linked to.
            -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnagogia View Post
              Ive used these transducers to turn acoustics into speakers for stereos.
              When you say "acoustics", do you mean acoustic guitars? Like, round-holed flat-tops?
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                When you say "acoustics", do you mean acoustic guitars? Like, round-holed flat-tops?
                Indeed! Although this project would be acoustic chambers separate from the main unit

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                  That kit probably uses the LM386 chip which is ubiquitous to these small battery powered amps. The most notable commercially is the Smokey Amps and on the DIY side I believe the Ruby Amp and Noisey Cricket projects are all 386 based. A 386 is quiet comfortable driving an 8 ohm load, so I don't see any obvious reason why it wouldn't be able to drive that transducer you linked to.
                  Awesome! Ill have to give it a try then. Ill update this with results!

Comment

Working...
                  X