Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick up Covers Weren't Supposed to Make Any Difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    Not that I know of, but even the cheapest ones made of brass, as long as they're open, the effect on the tone is practically irrelevant, IMHO.

HTH,
    Thanks Pepe!
    Have you tried and used these type of covers?
    Care to elaborate what type of buckers you have used them on?
    Low, or High output, or maybe both?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've asked Axesrus about their covers the look nice ,but would not ship them to North America ....
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Care to elaborate what type of buckers you have used them on?
        Low, or High output, or maybe both?
        T
        I've modded some korean-made 490R/498T knock-off p'ups plus some Duncan Designed HB103s.

After changing metals (baseplates, keepers, screws, slugs and A4/A8 mags) they actually turned out pretty good, if I may say so.

As I didn't have any nickelsilver 50/52mm covers, I put the axesrus h-gate covers and they didn't noticeably change the sound, plus the customers liked the look in their guitars, so everybody was happy, I got paid, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no mo'!
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Wow ... great info! Again, this forum is amazing. On the covers issue, I just ordered some black butyrate bobbins and US made baseplates to copy my cream coils. As much as I hate the open coil look, I also ordered from Mojotone, their nickel silver 'open' humbucker cover ... at least that'll help my need for cosmetic re-enforcement on my SG.

Hey Terry ... my hall effect sensors came in yesterday and later today, I'll be assembling my breadboard. Is there a tutorial anywhere out there on procedure to measure gauss on bar magnets?

Viva Italia!! You should see my tomato crop this year ... all organic .. it's that old hippy thang On the EDDY Current issues ... are they 'cheap' materials like brass that enhance these?

Also, this morning, I'm off to my studio to record some sound clips of my 2 SG PAF attempts and my 2 Firebird V pups. They'll be posted by day's end. Thanks AGAIN you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
            Is there a tutorial anywhere out there on procedure to measure gauss on bar magnets?
            Get a steel biscuit tin. Fill it up with some stuff. Can you pick it up with the magnet? Repeat until you can't and then weigh the stuff.

To "calibrate" this fine scientific instrument, measure a magnet which you are certain is fully charged (zap the hell out of it with neos first).

Looking forward to hearing the Firebird clips. I'd like to try winding some of the original "blade" style Firebirds myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
              Get a steel biscuit tin. Fill it up with some stuff. Can you pick it up with the magnet? Repeat until you can't and then weigh the stuff.

To "calibrate" this fine scientific instrument, measure a magnet which you are certain is fully charged (zap the hell out of it with neos first).

Looking forward to hearing the Firebird clips. I'd like to try winding some of the original "blade" style Firebirds myself.
              Mine are the ceramic pups that I have replaced - out of a 2004 Firebird V ... I just finished my recording of the PAF style ones for my SG. I'm posting the results on Soundcloud now. I'll get around to doing the FB ones before Memorial Day, if not sooner.

Comment

Working...
              X