Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick up Covers Weren't Supposed to Make Any Difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up Covers Weren't Supposed to Make Any Difference!

man ... some of these forums (not this one) ... I got what are supposed to be 'premium' humbucker BARE nickel silver covers. Just welded them on and re-installed. I HATE 'EM!!! They took all the schizzle, sizzle, sparkle ... whatever ya wanna call it away from the pups. It's more of a generic clean sound (still great). H
    Having spent a couple weeks experimenting, one of the most pleasing things was that ever so slight but noticeable mildly fuzzy distortion that came of the pups when soloing ... it sounded big league! If I didn't hate the look of an exposed pickup, I'd easily throw away the covers. Tone did NOT get 'bassier' ... it just lost it's 'sparkle'.
    Do any of yaz know what I'm babbling about???
    Are there different covers that may retain the tonal qualities of the pup when uncovered or, is a wall is a wall is a wall?? If it is an obstruction by having the cover, I'll have to copy this set with black butryte bobbins instead of the double cream that they are.

Originally posted by old guy View Post
    man ... some of these forums (not this one) ... I got what are supposed to be 'premium' humbucker BARE nickel silver covers. Just welded them on and re-installed. I HATE 'EM!!! They took all the schizzle, sizzle, sparkle ... whatever ya wanna call it away from the pups. It's more of a generic clean sound (still great). H
    Having spent a couple weeks experimenting, one of the most pleasing things was that ever so slight but noticeable mildly fuzzy distortion that came of the pups when soloing ... it sounded big league! If I didn't hate the look of an exposed pickup, I'd easily throw away the covers. Tone did NOT get 'bassier' ... it just lost it's 'sparkle'.
    Are there different covers that may retain the tonal qualities of the pup when uncovered or, is a wall is a wall is a wall?? If it is an obstruction by having the cover, I'll have to copy this set with black butryte bobbins instead of the double cream that they are.
    That is why players through the years have taken them off.
    But, with that said you can compensate for the covers.
    Magnets have to be charged a bit stronger.
    I usually use A5s with covers, or make the A2s as hot as I can get them.
    The other thing is to make sure the cover is seated all the way down against the bobbins, before soldering.
    Good Luck,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      That is why players through the years have taken them off.
      But, with that said you can compensate for the covers.
      Magnets have to be charged a bit stronger.
      I usually use A5s with covers, or make the A2s as hot as I can get them.
      The other thing is to make sure the cover is seated all the way down against the bobbins, before soldering.
      Good Luck,
      T
      Thanks Terry ... sometime this week I'll be gettin' my sensor so I can assemble the gauss gadget and start seeing what I'm using. Yupp - covers are bottomed out. When pressing them together, it's a good forceful 'SNAP' and they're together. I really didn't need to solder them ... just wanted to for that ''unity' thing.

Comment

Here is a real good Youtube vid on cover removal, and cover reinstalling.
        This is one of our members that goes by Possum.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry ... got no problem in construction, assembly or de-construction ... just wonderin' about different metal composition in covers to retain that 'schizzle' ;>)

Comment

I just put the vid up there for a refresher, in case anyone might want to look it over.
            We have lots of guys here that make Covered Humbuckers.
            Maybe they will chime in here.
            I use the Mojo brand Nickel covered and bare covers.
            The bare Nickel are the most transparent.
            Anyone got any words of wisdom on how to make a covered bucker sound like an uncovered?
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Anyone got any words of wisdom on how to make a covered bucker sound like an uncovered?
              Use a plastic (or wood or paper mache) cover.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Not sure if you can still get the DMC covers now ,Which were vintage spec but thick . & if your not going to give up the name off the supplier of the cover .I suggest purchasing other covers to compare ,Try Mojotone's bare covers
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Is your pickup potted?

Comment

Off topic, but I still like the Possum Cover Removal Vid.
                    I thought he really did a perfessional job on it.
                    I dig it out, every now and then.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Nope ... no potting for this boy. Only wax I ever use is when my wife wants me to rip the hair off her back ...
                      I'm using the 'Bare' Mojotone covers ... my favorite, in look and fit!

Addiction-Fx is offering a very nice PAF style baseplate with the manufacturers' report on metallurgical composition which can be seen . It boasts 18% nickel content, check it out = Alnico magnets Guitar pickups, Guitar magnets, Guitar baseplates

On the wax thing ... I have Gibson's BB1 & BB2 set in a Les Paul Standard. I still play at ear-splitting volumes with my Marshall and never do I get the feedback meltdowns like a lot of guys do. I attribute that to playing style where, I've been living on the volume control knobs since the 60s. When you sense the guitar is gonna squeal, you adjust your body angle relative the amp and either drop your volume control a tad OR IN MY CASE - take full advantage of grabbing a free octave split. This is a wonderful technique I learned from using ES335s way back when and works for Strats & Teles as well.

My current 3 Humbucker builds do not squeal; nor does my pair of Firebird Mini-Humbuckers (Mojo bobbins, A4 mags, purple/brown plain enamel 42awg, bridge = 7.31k, neck = 6.57k) . This success on the FBV pups has me selling my Seymour Duncan Antiquitys for Firebird.
                      Maybe just beginner's luck?????????????

Comment

In general, I'd expect to get more "character" with no covers. More info here on eddy currents and their effect on resonant peak.

Maybe a cover could help though if you need to tame a pickup which is just a bit too "edgy".

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
                          Fitertron Cover Nickel Humbucker Size

These covers have no eddy currents ussues.

HTH,
                          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                          Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            These covers have no eddy currents ussues.
                            Kewel. Is there a U.S. source?
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                              Kewel. Is there a U.S. source?
                              Not that I know of, but even the cheapest ones made of brass, as long as they're open, the effect on the tone is practically irrelevant, IMHO.

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/H-Gate-Humb...ss-p/pc17h.htm

I've tried these with excellent sonic results. But beware: your dog might disapprove.

HTH,
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                              X