How do I rust new screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I rust new screws?

I recently got an old Sunn Sonic 1 bass cabinet. It has the screws off the back missing. I bought new screws at the hardware store but want to quickly and easily rust them a little to make them look authentic.

How do I accomplish this task? Thanks!

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    I recently got an old Sunn Sonic 1 bass cabinet. It has the screws off the back missing. I bought new screws at the hardware store but want to quickly and easily rust them a little to make them look authentic.

How do I accomplish this task? Thanks!
    Google "slow rust bluing" or "browning". Don't try it with plated or galvanized hardware.

Comment

No offense to anyone, but... seriously? Rusting screws?
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Most screws in older equipment are either nickel or chrome. Most hardware store stuff is zinc.

When I've done this on vintage restorations to blend new parts with old I first age the plating using the fumes from commercial grade hydrochloric acid and then roll them in some common salt crystals and leave them in the bathroom or utility room window to rust (needs to be humid - depends where you live). I can get parts that are indistinguishable from the aged originals.

To fume them with acid you need a Tupperware-style plastic box with snap-on lid and a glass, plastic or ceramic dish that will easily fit inside with the lid snapped on. Put a couple of teaspoons of acid in the bottom of the box and put the parts in the inner tray. They don't go in the acid. Snap on the lid and leave them until they go dull.

Hydrochloric acid is sold by pool suppliers, builders merchants (for removing cement stains from brickwork) and some hardware stores. It fumes, burns and damages lung tissue, skin and eyes. It also makes everything else in your workshop rust.

You can also leave the screws in a tray of damp salt crystals where they'll eventully rust.

For either method;

1. Screws need to be steel
        2. Plating has to be nickel or chrome.

However, Zinc plating can be completely stripped off in minutes by immersing in hydrochloric acid outdoors. The bare steel will then easily rust using salt if all the zinc is removed. Will give a totally rusty component though, with no trace of brightness.

Some experience and experimentation is required to get the overall desired effect. YMMV, as they say.

Comment

It's real easy. Have a dog chew on an AC cord in your shop, then let it start a pile of rags on fire, then let the fire be put out by a hole melted in rubber tube to pressure switch for 80 gallon pressure tank full of water. Shop fills with smoke and humidity. Instant rust and corrosion on most everything metal. Been there, done that, unfortunately.

I do have plenty of very tarnished/rusted screws I'd gladly swap for new ones. What size you need?

Comment

I've got some old socks to exchange for new ones.

Comment

Buy steel screws with chrome or whatever nickel plating... must be STEEL. Take some kind of steel wool and work it good on the head of the screws!! Get rid of some of the plating that way. Then concoct a solution of 4 parts white vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 part salt. Keep it in this solution for a week or so... Then tell us if you got lucky!?!
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Put the cabinet back to the wall at the next bar gig you have. I guarantee no one will notice.

Seriously, Birchwood Casey makes some good stuff that can be used for antiquing metal. Any decent gunshop should carry the stuff.

Comment

Many years ago I was in the car restoration business and I remember an article by a chemist that stated that freezing conditions (along with road salt) really accelerated oxidation in sheet metal.

Comment

I can understand "authenticity" but applied to where it's worth.

In this case (back cover screws? .... seriously ???? ) I would go for the AUTHENTIC method: put fresh screws there and wait 40 years.
                    Leaving the cabinet in a damp basement will surely help.
                    Moving to Atlantic City, Miami or any humid place close to the sea will work even better.

All will look authentic and like they are , what, 40 to 60 years old?

The so treated cabinet will definitely be worth a Million Dollars.

Only problem is, they will be Year 2053 Dollars, and 1000000 of them will buy what? .... a hamburger ... ?
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I`ve used Sharpies on screw heads and shoe polish on Tolex with some success.

Comment

If you just want that dark old look, try the steel wool, then use Gun Bluing.
                        I use the birchwood casey permablue all the time on Pickup pole screws and rod magnets.
                        After you take them out of the bluing, if they are too dark, rub them on a cloth to take a little of it off.
                        Works great on brass screws also.
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Last year somene bought me an Peavey Delta Blues combo from Singapore, Never seen corrosion like it. The voice coil was rusted solid and the PCB wire links had corroded right through. Some of the tracks were green and eaten through. All of the nickel fittings, screws and the chrome panel looked like they'd come out of the sea. The guy said it was pretty much 100% humidity where he lived and sometimes salt-laiden spray blew in from the coast.

If all else fails, move to Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            Last year somene bought me an Peavey Delta Blues combo from Singapore, Never seen corrosion like it. The voice coil was rusted solid and the PCB wire links had corroded right through. Some of the tracks were green and eaten through. All of the nickel fittings, screws and the chrome panel looked like they'd come out of the sea. The guy said it was pretty much 100% humidity where he lived and sometimes salt-laiden spray blew in from the coast.

If all else fails, move to Singapore.
                            Or even better: lend it to Spongebob Squarepants .

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                              I've got some old socks to exchange for new ones.
                              Did Eric Clapton get one of them for his new album "Old sock"?

Comment

Working...
                              X