Favorite Pickup, & or Guitar & Pickup Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Pickup, & or Guitar & Pickup Combo

Up for discussion is your favorite pickup, also what Guitar and pickup combination you like.
    Not sure what mine would be.
    I Love the tone and sound of low wound humbuckers, in a LP body, but they are usually real heavy.
    I also love the tone of a Strat full of Vintage type Single Coils, but they can be noisy in some environments.
    One of my favorite guitars is a strat with either all Mini Blade Buckers, or BladeBuckers in neck and bridge, and SC in the middle.
    Also a Favorite is the Strat Stack I made a while back out of Humbucker bobbins.
    So what is you favorite pickups, and pickup guitar combo's?
    Thanks, and pictures are welcome.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 in Les Paul Std
    Gibson 57 Classics in Es335 Dot Figured
    My own wind in SG Standard replaced 57 Classics
    My own wind in Firebird V replaced stock Gibson ceramics and Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2
    Bill Lawrence Noiseless in semi-hollow Partscaster
    Fender Original Vintage (52s) in my American Std 1998 Fender B-Bender Telecaster with SD Vintage Flat in middle position.
    Fender Custom Shop '69s in my American Std Strat
    Schatten Design passive Tricone transducer in my National Style One Tricone
    LR Baggs I-Beams in my 2 'junk' acoustics
    Stock pups in rest of electric arsenal
    I can lift 500 lbs over my head and still nobody likes me.

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
      Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 in Les Paul Std
      Gibson 57 Classics in Es335 Dot Figured
      My own wind in SG Standard replaced 57 Classics
      My own wind in Firebird V replaced stock Gibson ceramics and Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2
      Bill Lawrence Noiseless in semi-hollow Partscaster
      Fender Original Vintage (52s) in my American Std 1998 Fender B-Bender Telecaster with SD Vintage Flat in middle position.
      Fender Custom Shop '69s in my American Std Strat
      Schatten Design passive Tricone transducer in my National Style One Tricone
      LR Baggs I-Beams in my 2 'junk' acoustics
      Stock pups in rest of electric arsenal
      I can lift 500 lbs over my head and still nobody likes me.
      That is quite an arsenal.
      I Make my own mini blades, I would love to hear mine side by side to the B.L Noiseless.
      Rock On!
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I find that certain pickups work better on some guitars than others. Depends on the tone of that guitar.

Currently all my instruments have my own pickups, except my tele which also has some old Lawrence L-250s.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          That is quite an arsenal.
          I Make my own mini blades, I would love to hear mine side by side to the B.L Noiseless.
          Rock On!
          Shoot T!!!!!! Now yaz gots me settin' up some time to record my Partscaster with Bill's L280N, S280M and the bridge with an L298 ... in a day or two.

Comment

I guess my all time favorite pickup is a Low Wound Neck Humbucker.
            Wound in the 7k-7.3k range, with A2 magnets.
            Great Tone & Clarity, with no Mud.
            I've made a bunch of them, and they usually always sound good.
            What IMO ruins them, if you go over 7.4k.
            They get too Middy, high notes not as clean and clear, and the Low notes start to Mud Up!
            T
            Terry

Comment

Hi I'm Copper & I'm a P-90 addict
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                Hi I'm Copper & I'm a P-90 addict
                Take two LP's and call the Doctor in the Morning!
                Terry

Comment

Easily a a hot 50's strat set, something about a3 overwound in my g&l is just magic to me. Im a sucker for p90's also, especially nasty growly fat p90's in anything but an SG!

Comment

I guess my all time favorite pickup is a Low Wound Neck Humbucker.
                    Wound in the 7k-7.3k range, with A2 magnets.
                    Great Tone & Clarity, with no Mud.
                    I've made a bunch of them, and they usually always sound good.
                    What IMO ruins them, if you go over 7.4k.
                    They get too Middy, high notes not as clean and clear, and the Low notes start to Mud Up!
                    T
                    Low wind pickups always sound good.

Here's an example of why I say some pickups are not good in some guitars. I had a Duncan Jazz neck sitting around that was swapped out of another guitar. It's a clean bright sounding pickup, and reads 7.7k.

At the neck position in a Strat style Charvel it sounded nice. Then I put it in the neck position on my FirstAct GarageMaster, which is a Fender scale length guitar, with a basswood body and maple neck. I don't know what the body is on the Charvel. It's supposed to be basswood, but seems heavier. On this guitar it had way too much low end, and was very boomy. It wasn't muddy, the highs were fine, but it had too much low end.

So instead I made a new neck humbucker. I used thinner wire, and two different gauges. Now I have a warm but clear sounding pickup with a tighter low end. It's thick, but not muddy. Perfect for this guitar, but maybe not another one.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Low wind pickups always sound good.

Here's an example of why I say some pickups are not good in some guitars. I had a Duncan Jazz neck sitting around that was swapped out of another guitar. It's a clean bright sounding pickup, and reads 7.7k.

At the neck position in a Strat style Charvel it sounded nice. Then I put it in the neck position on my FirstAct GarageMaster, which is a Fender scale length guitar, with a basswood body and maple neck. I don't know what the body is on the Charvel. It's supposed to be basswood, but seems heavier. On this guitar it had way too much low end, and was very boomy. It wasn't muddy, the highs were fine, but it had too much low end.

So instead I made a new neck humbucker. I used thinner wire, and two different gauges. Now I have a warm but clear sounding pickup with a tighter low end. It's thick, but not muddy. Perfect for this guitar, but maybe not another one.
                      That is my favorite way to make a pickup, is for an individual guitar.
                      I have done that for all my personal guitars.
                      I prefer bigger wire on neck pickups, but in the low wind format!
                      Rock Steady!
                      Terry

Comment

I know there are more opinions on pickup and guitar combinations out there?
                        You don't have to be a Winder to post in this thread, so Jump in!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I know there are more opinions on pickup and guitar combinations out there?
                          You don't have to be a Winder to post in this thread, so Jump in!
                          Single blade pickup in an ES150 archtop.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                            Single blade pickup in an ES150 archtop.
                            Sounds good, you got any specs, like DCR, or range.
                            Low, medium or High output?
                            T
                            **Is it Balmy in BaWLmer?
                            Last edited by big_teee; 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Sounds good, you got any specs, like DCR, or range.

**Is it Balmy in BaWLmer?
                              I was trying to be a wiseacre. ES150s would have some flavor of "Charlie Christian" bar pickup- except for post WWII models with P90s.
                              I only know that 'cause I looked it up on Wikipedia; I've never played one.

After ~2weeks of daily thunder storms, then 3 days of beautiful weather, we're in day 2 of a "heat wave". But the humidity is fairly low (~50%).
                              Typical Baltimore summer weather is temps and relative humidity in the high 90s; we haven't started balmy season quite yet.
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X