Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Apollo (GA-95RVT) AKA: Nightmare.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Apollo (GA-95RVT) AKA: Nightmare.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and probably my first post related to amps in general. I've decided to post because I've probably read every thread on my particular amp about a bazillion times and I'm not coming up with any answers. Oh yeah, there's about one thread related to the GA-95RVT as far as I can tell.

Anyway, after replacing burnt out screen resistors, the two prong power cord, all tubes (including the 6eu7s and excluding the rectifier tube), cleaning the pots etc., I'm still coming up with the same issues. I'm guessing there's some leaky caps and it's probably due for a cap job anyways. Maybe it's that rectifier tube. Anyway....

*I get the worst noise/hiss even when the volume for both channels is down. The guitar sounds extremely thin in both channels regardless of how I set the tone controls.

*When plugged in to channel 1 (NORMAL) I can hear my guitar, even with both volumes at 0. The treble knob of channel 2 (REVERB) is affecting channel 1.

*The treble control of channel 1 goes from muddy at 0 to thin and pingy at 5 and then back to muddy at 10.

*Oh yeah, and the reverb although not even connected makes a squeal when when the knob is turned.

It's also running very hot.

I could probably go on forever. This thing is a waste of time ans money so far, but at this point, I'm determined to fix it. I've gone this far! If anyone has any suggestions as to what the culprit appears to be, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Jeff

PS: I could post some pictures if that helps?

Always nice to have a link to a schematic. I found this: http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...5_APOLLO_2.pdf

Any idea how old this thing is? How is the power output?
    Last edited by loudthud; 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I've repaired/rebuilt several Gibbys of this vintage and ALL of them had some bad caps. You've got several problems/symptoms listed there, but it would be a good idea to start with testing or replacing electrolytics. I'm not one to just replace caps without testing them, but I realize not everyone has an expensive cap tester available. You may have to just replace them if you don't have access to a good tester.

On a side note, I don't recall working on this exact model, but the GA series amps that I have refurbed have sounded REALLY good and have been well worth the time and effort.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
      X