Interesting features in VHT Special 6 Ultra schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting features in VHT Special 6 Ultra schematic

I just ran across the VHT Special 6 Ultra schematic and thought that there were some interesting features in it that we might want to borrow for our own builds and rebuilds.

Here is the schematic with mods suggested by robrobinette followed by a link to his mod page:

Amp Mods

I like how the one knob tone control is wired up. The signal goes through a BF tone stack (albeit with fixed resistors rather than pots) and the signal knob tone control is wired up to the volume control similar to the tweed deluxe. (It is drawn differently- I haven't redrawn it to see if it is identical.)

I like the 11 position "Depth" control which switches the 6V6 cathode resistor bypass cap going from .22uF to 22uF. Interesting range- I've always wired up a switch for values like 25uF, 50uF and 100uF with not a hell of a lot of difference between them.

The "Texture" switch selects the capacitor used in the conjunctive filter.

I like how they wire up the DC filament/relay supply from the 6.3vac supply going to the power tube. After the bridge rectifier and filter cap there is a 220R resistor in series with a red LED from positive to the negative ground. With this wiring you do not have to isolate the relay footswitch from chassis ground. It looks like the 220R resistor and red LED will keep the DC voltage around 6.2vdc with two 12AX7's and a single relay. I wonder how it would work with three preamp tubes and two relays... one way to find out and I DON'T mean theoretical computations. Hook the damn thing up and measure the voltages!

I've been using the AC-to-DC circuit that I borrowed from Mesa Boogie for almost 15 years and the downside was that I would have to select a series resistor to keep the voltage within an acceptable range depending on the number of tubes and relays hooked up. My D-clone had 3 relays and it was really tricky to get the voltage high enough to pull in all 3 relay coils yet low enough for the filaments...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac_to_dc.gif
Views:	4
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	867413

Enjoy!

Steve Ahola
    Last edited by tboy; 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

There are some really good ideas here. I have been experimenting with the bypass cap on cathode biased power tubes and really liking the response of lower value caps. although I think a switch for about 3 options is good enough for me. I also like the simple power scaling methods, pretty similar to one I have used before, but do you know if the mosfet is heat sinked? or bolted to the chassis maybe? I have always been cautious about putting 350V with only a mm of insulation to the chassis...

Comment

It looks like the MOSFET is mounted on a small heatsink and pretty well insulated from the chassis.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sp6u08.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	829278

Comment

Originally posted by jazbo8 View Post
        It looks like the MOSFET is mounted on a small heatsink and pretty well insulated from the chassis.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23714[/ATTACH]
        Ok cool, that is how I have done it. I really like the features incorporated into this amp.

Comment

Working...
        X