Hidden Tele Neck Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Tele Neck Pickup?

I have a request to put a hidden pickup in an esquire Tele.
    Was wondering what others have done in this application.
    The pickup would be mounted under the Pickguard at the neck position.
    Was thinking of maybe a blade pickup?
    Need something that will pickup through the pickguard.
    Doesn't seem like it will be a good scenario, but we do what we can.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

The distance from the strings would warrant against very much of anything being sensed by such a pickup, and even there, the volume difference between neck and bridge would mean constant fiddling with controls should the player wish to switch pickups. Does the person want it to sound like a Tele but look like an Esquire? That's a pretty tall order for such a short pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
      The distance from the strings would warrant against very much of anything being sensed by such a pickup, and even there, the volume difference between neck and bridge would mean constant fiddling with controls should the player wish to switch pickups. Does the person want it to sound like a Tele but look like an Esquire? That's a pretty tall order for such a short pickup
      That is exactly right.
      Wants it to look like an Esquire.
      He's a friend/Customer.
      I may try to talk him out of it.
      He said if he likes it, he may also put one in the middle.
      It is routed for a neck pickup.
      I may get it and see what it sounds like with a blade at that height, without the pickguard.
      So I guess I may get the guitar and mess with it on some late night when I can't sleep! lol
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

A Friend of mine and I have been kicking this around some today.
        Thinking about a coverless Firebird Pickup with ceramic magnets, in the bobbins.
        Wind two Mini Bobbins, and mount them on a forbon or fiberglass baseplate.
        Jam it up against the Pickguard!
        Anyone else have any other ideas?
        T
        Terry

Comment

I have thought about experimenting with a under the guard pickup for an Esquire ,But I was going to try neo magnets first .
          Might be interesting to try neo magnets the firebird pickup if you find the ceramic not strong enough
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            I have thought about experimenting with a under the guard pickup for an Esquire ,But I was going to try neo magnets first .
            I built two for a builder a few years ago. I never heard the finished product but I didn't hear any complaints either.
            I remember that I used .187" x.781" A5 rod magnets and kept them flush with the top flatwork.

I can give the shop a call tomorrow and ask him how they sounded if you like Terry.

Comment

It was done in the sixties on the Fender Marauder and did work but few were made and short lived. pat 3290424

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                It was done in the sixties on the Fender Marauder and did work but few were made and short lived. pat 3290424
                Didnt the Marauder have both pickups under the pick guard?

The problem with the Esquire would be the exposed and potentially hot bridge pickup matching the volume of the stealth neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                  I built two for a builder a few years ago. I never heard the finished product but I didn't hear any complaints either.
                  I remember that I used .187" x.781" A5 rod magnets and kept them flush with the top flatwork.

I can give the shop a call tomorrow and ask him how they sounded if you like Terry.
                  Sure if you want too.
                  Would that have more pickup capacity than a dual bobbin mini bucker?
                  Buckers are usually always louder than SCs?
                  I may experiment in one of my humbucker guitars and just keep the pickup low.
                  You can mount a Mini in a regular humbucker route, if you bend the mini base legs a bit.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Would that have more pickup capacity than a dual bobbin mini bucker?
                    Buckers are usually always louder than SCs?
                    I'd imagine a hot humbucker would certainly out perform the single coil power wise but if the customer wants a single coil sound.......well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                      I'd imagine a hot humbucker would certainly out perform the single coil power wise but if the customer wants a single coil sound.......well.....
                      I agree, but if you want a Single Coil Sound, then you need a Pickguard with a hole in it.
                      My plans right now, is a make shift homemade version of a minibucker.
                      I can jam it against the pickguard, and because PAF humbuckers are used with low strength magnets, and are set level with the ring, A mini with strong magnets should possibly be just about right.
                      This is an experiment, In Progress.
                      I know it is a historic Look, but IMO it should be illegal to make a guitar with only one Pickup.
                      Thanks guys for all the feedback.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Wants it to look like an Esquire... It is routed for a neck pickup.
                        So, it started out as a regular Tele, and he replaced the pickguard with a single pickup?
                        EDIT: Never mind; Wikipedia tells me that Esquires were routed at neck position.

I Googled "hidden neck pickup"... on tdpri, somebody mounted a hot SC p'up under the guard, but with 6 holes to let the poles thru.
                        Doesn't look too bad. With black pg and blackened poles, would be almost invisible- and you get the mags a little closer to the strings.
                        Last edited by rjb; 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                          So, it started out as a regular Tele, and he replaced the pickguard with a single pickup?

I Googled "hidden neck pickup"... on tdpri, somebody mounted a hot SC p'up under the guard, but with 6 holes to let the poles thru.
                          Doesn't look too bad. With black pg and blackened poles, would be almost invisible- and you get the mags a little closer to the strings.
                          That sounds like a pretty good option.
                          I'm pretty sure he doesn't want any holes.
                          I hate to go and start drilling a pickguard if it, would ruin any collector value.
                          As soon as I finish the Set of pickups for the String Bender Tele, he's going to let me have the Esquire for a while.
                          So I should have plenty of time to plot and plan a strategy.
                          The body is supposed to be routed for a pickup.
                          Lots of time they are routed large enough for a Mini, or even a Wide Range Bucker.
                          I will just have to wait and see what I have to work with.
                          I was thinking the ceramic firebird should be bright enough for a Twanger.
                          He plays in a country band and plays Strats, Teles, and Steel Guitars.
                          He usually plays on the bridge pickup, but I guess not having a neck pickup Bothers him.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Does anyone know what direction the Esquire Bridge Pickup is wound, CW, or CCW?
                            North or south up?
                            Terry

Comment

I hate to go and start drilling a pickguard if it, would ruin any collector value.
                              Could you do a whole new harness on a new pickguard?

He plays in a country band...
                              He usually plays on the bridge pickup, but I guess not having a neck pickup Bothers him.
                              Then he needs the stock 3rd switch position (treble & volume cut) for the Luther Perkins rhythm sound!
                              Maybe just tweak some component values... (talking thru my hat; have never played or modded an Esquire).
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X