• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
    THAT SMELL
    Steve
    That Smell, That reminds me of a Song!
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - YouTube
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I played around with the Esquire yesterday.
      I have some small broke pieces of NEO magnets.
      With the pickguard removed I experimented with putting the NEOs on top of the different rod magnets.
      Then checking the tone and volume of the pickup.
      The volume did come up on the low strings, and I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in tone.
      On the neck pickup, it still sounded like a strat neck pickup and same with the middle.
      So at this time I will order a bunch of 100-- 5mm x 2.5mm N42 Magnets.
      http://www.indigo.com/magnets/rare_e...tvs6mnctsgnak2
      I can put them on the bottoms of any or all of the rod magnets, and may also put them on top of the big E string rod magnets.
      The NEOs will help boost the low mounted pickups.
      Peace and Tone,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        I played around with the Esquire yesterday.
        I have some small broke pieces of NEO magnets.
        With the pickguard removed I experimented with putting the NEOs on top of the different rod magnets.
        Then checking the tone and volume of the pickup.
        The volume did come up on the low strings, and I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in tone.
        On the neck pickup, it still sounded like a strat neck pickup and same with the middle.
        So at this time I will order a bunch of 100-- 5mm x 2.5mm N42 Magnets.
        Disc magnet, D5 x 2.5mm, Nd rare earth, N42
        I can put them on the bottoms of any or all of the rod magnets, and may also put them on top of the big E string rod magnets.
        The NEOs will help boost the low mounted pickups.
        Peace and Tone,
        T
        Change of plans.
        Instead of the NEOs, I ended up using a couple of small Ceramic magnets.
        I use the small narrow ceramic magnets for Strat Blade pickups.
        I have some broke pieces.
        I fit a short strip on each side of the E, and A magnet on the bottom of the pickup.
        The rod magnets stick through the bottom, so it was easy to put one on each side like on a P90 pickup.
        That made the E and A string stronger and they now match the other strings.
        Just about done with this project.
        An Interesting twist to a Telecaster.
        I would probably never do this to my own guitar, but it is a viable option for those die hard Esquire players.
        Be sure and tell any potential customers, that it will work, but there will be some compromise.
        That the low mounted pickups will never be as loud as the higher mounted bridge pickup, but a balance can be reached.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 06-22-2013, 03:00 PM.
        Terry

Comment

An idea for this that came to me would have been make a a standard Tele or Strat neck pickup, but with longer magnets, and have the magnets poke through the pickguard so they were either flush with the surface or protruding slightly. You would hardly see them, and you would have better sensitivity than under the pickguard. Would be kind of cool looking too. You could also use black plated steel poles.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            An idea for this that came to me would have been make a a standard Tele or Strat neck pickup, but with longer magnets, and have the magnets poke through the pickguard so they were either flush with the surface or protruding slightly. You would hardly see them, and you would have better sensitivity than under the pickguard. Would be kind of cool looking too. You could also use black plated steel poles.
            That was discussed at some length earlier in the thread.
            I couldn't talk the guy into anything exposed, it had to be hidden.
            In fact I told him I really didn't want to do it, because I didn't think he would be happy with it.
            He Had me to do it anyway!
            T
            Terry

Comment

...but it is a viable option for those die hard Esquire players.
              Well then it isn't an Esquire anymore, is it?

Funny how someone would be a die-hard fan of a one pickup guitar, but then not want a one pickup guitar. So they are really die-hard Tele fans.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

The guitar is finished, in its case under the bed.
                It turned out great, and hopefully what Danny was wanting.
                It looks like a Esquire, with additonal tonal options.
                Waiting for him to pick it up.
                T
                Terry

Comment

It looks like a Esquire, with additonal tonal options.

And an Esquire looks like a Tele, without the neck pickup (which is what it is).

Kind of like someone getting a Rickenbacker 4000 bass, or a one pickup LP Jr, and adding a hidden neck pickup. Except no one does that.

Guitarist are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    And an Esquire looks like a Tele, without the neck pickup (which is what it is).

Kind of like someone getting a Rickenbacker 4000 bass, or a one pickup LP Jr, and adding a hidden neck pickup. Except no one does that.

Guitarist are funny.
                    You know that, I know that!
                    I tried to talk him out of it, So what is a guy to do but to take his Money!
                    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Guitarist are funny.
                      Not that I disagree with your statement but I refuse to be associated with someone who IQ is less than the gauge of his strings. I am into stealth equipment just as much as the next guy but there are some things that I draw the line at. I have to say that the 3 pickup Nashville Tele setup is really nice- if he wanted 3 pickups he should have had Terry make him something like that and the heck with the stealth pickguard idea...

Steve Ahola
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                        Not that I disagree with your statement but I refuse to be associated with someone who IQ is less than the gauge of his strings. I am into stealth equipment just as much as the next guy but there are some things that I draw the line at. I have to say that the 3 pickup Nashville Tele setup is really nice- if he wanted 3 pickups he should have had Terry make him something like that and the heck with the stealth pickguard idea...

Steve Ahola
                        He'll get bored with it and sell it and I'll be working on something else Strange for him!
                        Hey, but that's fine, I've learned a lot in the process!
                        So far in the last year and a half, I've made him about 8 sets of Tele Pickups.
                        I don't even own a tele, but I'm getting pretty good at making SCs for them!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• My Friend came back from his Work Trip He had in Colorado, and I delivered the Stealth Esquire.
                          He was Elated with it.
                          He played it for me, and with the three pickups, it now has so many more options.
                          If it were a Hot-Rod Car, We would call it a Sleeper!
                          So Ends Another Saga of Custom Pickups, and Guitar Teching!
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

• I heard an Esquire with a double slug Alnico 8 paf sized humbucker under the pickguard (wound with a decent offset) and sounded nice. Really twangy and matched a Tele bridge pickup in output.

Comment

• I did that one that way, but don't plan on doing anymore.
                              The passive pickups are designed to be above the pickguard.
                              IMO it is a waste of a lot of good hardware.
                              I would never do my own guitar that way.
                              IMO however good they sound under the guard, they sound better above it.
                              T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM.
                              Terry

Comment

• I found an old link to some Nd magnets. The company's website has changed. Here is the new location of the Indigo D5 x 2.5mm, N42 Nd rare earth disc magnet can be found.

Comment

Working...
                                X