Champ Output transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Output transformer

I am doing my first scratch build and was hit with a question while drilling holes for assorted bits. I have a new Hammond OT made as a Champ replacement that has leads for 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers. I planned on only using the 8 ohm but then thought I would have three different jacks, 4, 8 and 16. Then the question occurred. Can one plug in more than one speaker at a time on a new transformer? What might happen if, along with the 8 ohm in the cabinet, I tried to run a 4 or 16 along with it?
    This is not something I would likely try, I am just wondering?

Originally posted by Resonator Guy View Post
    I am doing my first scratch build and was hit with a question while drilling holes for assorted bits. I have a new Hammond OT made as a Champ replacement that has leads for 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers. I planned on only using the 8 ohm but then thought I would have three different jacks, 4, 8 and 16. Then the question occurred. Can one plug in more than one speaker at a time on a new transformer? What might happen if, along with the 8 ohm in the cabinet, I tried to run a 4 or 16 along with it?
    This is not something I would likely try, I am just wondering?
    My first guess is that if you plugged an 8-Ohm speaker into the 4-Ohm jack, and a 16-Ohm speaker into the 8-Ohm Jack, it would be the same as two 8-Ohm speakers paralleled into the 4-Ohm jack, etc., per Ohm's law. Multiple taps co-exist on PTs, so why not OTs?

... and yes, I too would hesitate to try it.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Here's a previous discussion on the subject: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20950/
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thanks folks. I think I will just tape off the 4 and 16 leads so nobody does try it

Comment

Originally posted by tboy View Post
          Here's a previous discussion on the subject: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20950/
          I just read the entire thread... an informative, educational, and flaming joy ride, fer shore!
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X