Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12AX7 tube for overdriven analog organ

Hi folks,
    I have been a member of this forum for a while but have found little reason to post until now.
    I have ordered a used Chandler Tube Overdrive unit to sit between my Yamaha D-85 organ and a Dynacord CLS 222 - for recording into my DAW. The current PreAmp Tube defined as a '12AX7A - ECC83 - Yugoslavia'. Reading elsewhere I note that these units can easily get a bit fuzzy sounding, so my search is for a replacement tube which I can overdrive for my 'rock organ' tones, but one which will give me a well defined sound with clear harmonics etc. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by nrand View Post
    Hi folks,
    I have been a member of this forum for a while but have found little reason to post until now.
    I have ordered a used Chandler Tube Overdrive unit to sit between my Yamaha D-85 organ and a Dynacord CLS 222 - for recording into my DAW. The current PreAmp Tube defined as a '12AX7A - ECC83 - Yugoslavia'. Reading elsewhere I note that these units can easily get a bit fuzzy sounding, so my search is for a replacement tube which I can overdrive for my 'rock organ' tones, but one which will give me a well defined sound with clear harmonics etc. Any suggestions?
    A wild guess is that this organ is quite important to you. If so, you should get a bunch of different models and swap around till you fall in love with one of them. You're replacing only one tube right?
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
      A wild guess is that this organ is quite important to you. If so, you should get a bunch of different models and swap around till you fall in love with one of them. You're replacing only one tube right?
      The D85 is more of a synth than a conventional organ, the final and some say the best consumer organ in the evolution from the GX1- with similar sounds to the CS-80, albeit with consumer oriented controls. It gives a very good combo organ sound, as well as excellent fundamentals for rock oriented sounds. The purpose of the overdrive before the Leslie is to get me in the general direction of hard rock organ sounds. ....

Yes, the Chandler has only one tube in it. Could a 12au7 be overdriven as well?
      I am happy to try a few tubes out but with so many to consider I am hoping someone has been in similar situations and can suggest a few tubes to start with [rather than 100]

Comment

I understand. For starters, the 12AU7 will probably give you a cleaner sound, due to that they have less gain. From my experience Chinese tubes often have much more gain than say Russian. (I go for Russian hence I like cleaner sounds.) Do you have any clue of how the tube is wired? Plate voltages, anode resistor etc.. If you know these components it's easier to deduce if you're likely to stand a chance of getting übermetal distortion or not.
        In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

i use ecc 803 jj tesla , a different ecc 83 much higher in my smooth tube pedal ( a strange version of chandler tube distortion ) on my farfisa and have great sound , the amp is a hiwatt sta 100 , power amp 100 watt with 4 el 34 and a roland space echo, ecc 803 are very good tube for organ ( and for hifi too)

Comment

Working...
          X