Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using hifi amp a signal tracer

Hi all.
    I would like to know if it is advisable to use my hifi bench test amplifier as a signal tracer, or should i rather get a dedicated amplifier/ speaker for this. What type of circuitry will I need front- end to add this to my hifi amp? I want to be able to probe valve amps etc.
    Any advice please.

That will work if you take some precautions to protect the amp input from overload such as:
    Add a DC blocking capacitor between the pint being probed and the amp input.
    Use a resistive divider as required to attenuate the signal down to an acceptable level.
    That's pretty much all a dedicated signal tracer is.
    Google signal tracer for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by diydidi View Post
      should i rather get a dedicated amplifier/ speaker for this.
      Yes.

Why put your SS (presumably) hi fi amp at risk?

Slap together a rudimentary single-ended tube amp, sort of a downmarket Champ. Tubes will survive electrical insults that would smoke your hi fi amp, and leave you frustrated A) without entertainment whilst working and B) another @#$%! repair.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

FYI there is a posting about home brew signal tracers in the MEF thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15825/ , post #7.
        Tom

Comment

Can I use a little practice amp such a Fender 15R amp modified for signal tracing? What type of input impedance will I need for signal tracing?

Comment

This is a simple safe signal tracing adaptor, good for most you can find inside an SS amp ,pedal, or passive/active guitar. (< 1.2 V RMS)

If you want it to stand higher voltages, you can use instead my PC-Scope adapter/attenuator, but connecting to a guitar plug as above, and using Leds instead of plain diodes:

build the attenuator into a shielded and insulated box, it must be *impossible* to touch any internal part, switch contacts or resistors.

Note: the original use of the PC scope attenuator is to be able to use one of the free Soundcard based "PC-Scopes" available, without killing the Soundcard input with high voltage or transients.

It's meant for the Soundcard "Line" input, with around 100mV sensitivity, not the "Microphone" one.

I designed and built it to carry it everywhere in my Service bag, has saved my bacon more than once when away from the Lab.

Some useful ones:
            Zelscope: Sound card oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer
            Soundcard Scope

Beware they do not show DC but are great to see weird stuff happening: oscillations, distortion, noise, hum, ripple, crackling, etc.
            Last edited by J M Fahey; 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              This is a simple safe signal tracing adaptor...
              That file / image didn't make it through. Would you try to re-post?
              Thanks,
              T

Comment

Oh, probably one of the latter MEF server quirks.
                *I* can see them as soon as I open this page, but just in case, these are the direct links, open 2 new empty tabs (or windows) and paste a link on each one.
                They should open straight from ImageShack, without passing through MEF .
                http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9909/traceprobe.png
                http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6...attenuator.gif

Work or not, please post results, so I confirm if this shortcut works.
                Thanks.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It appears on the page for me.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Juan,
                    I was a guest using a network connection that blocked the images as it turned out. I can see them when I use my own connection.
                    Your imageshack shortcuts work in both locations.
                    Thanks,
                    Tom
                    Last edited by Tom Phillips; 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks, good to know, so as to waste *a little* less times chasing ghosts which aren't really there.

Although many times I feel like:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

thanx guys awesome answers.

Comment

Working...
                        X