Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patent pending Speaker Reactance Thru (S.R.T.) attenuation technology used by Aracom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patent pending Speaker Reactance Thru (S.R.T.) attenuation technology used by Aracom

If you're curious: Patent US20110317854 - Speaker voume control with inidividual input and output impedance converters - Google Patents

First question: What is voume and why do we need to control it?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I think it sound that go with toy cars and toy airplanes.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Renault cars have Va va voume.

Interesting to see this, as I remember there was a big fight recently over the details of how the Aracom attenuator worked. It really does have two big transformers in it. I still can't believe someone would try to patent it, though.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Dunno. My method of putting the speaker in the next room and closing the door seems to work pretty well. Maybe I should patent it?

Improvement on prior art:
          (1) Costs a lot less
          (2) Continuously variable volume by adjusting size of door opening
          (3) No limit on power handling (within reason )
          (4) Speaker performance is unchanged
          (5) Amplifier sees an exact replica of a real speaker
          (6) It's way more fun
          (7) Drowns out wife, partner, annoying neighbor, barking dogs etc...
          Last edited by nickb; 06-14-2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Advertising?

I wasn't curious. Still not so much.
            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
              Advertising?
              Is that question directed at me? No, I'm not advertising. I have no affiliation with Aracom, and I've never used their products. I came across the earlier thread and was curious how the attenuator worked, so I looked up the patent. I thought I'd share the link here in case anyone else was interested.

Comment

Sorry if I impugned your integrity. However, it's an odd first post for a new member that's not intended to be "viral" advertising. If I have wrongfully impugned you, I apologize.

I did go look a the patent. The patent researchers have done a execrable job for the last few decades. Patents that are laughably obvious to "one skilled in the art" as prior art have been awarded. It's difficult for me to believe that given the - what, century old now? - idea of using transformers to transform impedances, the idea of using two of them, one on each side of a variable resistor, would be patentable. However, I'm regularly surprised how low the standards of the patent examiners can be.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

Oh my, I also thought you were advertising for the product. My apology as well.

Welcome to the forum though.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks! We had looked for this patent application 2 months ago when there was a very heated discussion about the Aracom attenuator.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32668/

I don't like the Google Patent viewer so here is a link to the attached PDF file for the patent application.

US20110317854A1.pdf

Steve Ahola

P.S. I think that it is particularly slimy for Google to present only its own patent page when you type in a patent number, with the message "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed." Gee whiz, thanks a whole bunch for making my search more relevant!
                    Last edited by Steve A.; 06-15-2013, 06:59 AM.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

It's difficult for me to believe that given the - what, century old now? - idea of using transformers to transform impedances, the idea of using two of them, one on each side of a variable resistor, would be patentable.
                      I like to read patent applications just to see what makes things tick. With patent applications the inventor could be sharing some of his tricks with us. Like the Chiliachki patent which introduced a whole new way of designing dummy coils for single coil pickups that offers much more transparency than "old school" dummy coils.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/p...chiliachki.pdf

Steve Ahola
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

DIY Speaker Matching Transformer

Can you really get a patent for some transformers, resistors and switches in this day and age?! I'd be surprise if it will be granted... Anyway, Mr. Turner just published an article for the more ambitious DIY'er among us. Also note his comment wrt to the auto-transformer - unless it's wound properly, it could effect the HF response (perhaps not so much of an issue for guitar amp)...

Comment

The Marshall Power Brake uses a big multi tapped inductor in a similar way. Similar enough that it may qualify as prior art.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                            P.S. I think that it is particularly slimy for Google to present only its own patent page when you type in a patent number, with the message "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed."
                            ... and NOT saying "Oh, yeah. We also recorded what you looked for just in case it's ever useful to the government."

Comment

... and NOT saying "Oh, yeah. We also recorded what you looked for just in case it's ever useful to the government."
                              Well, I don't DIS-believe that the government can and does track and monitor such things. But I would sooner think that the action is initially greed driven for commerce. The government just piggybacks their agenda on the available information. Al Capone (a fairly successful and intelligent man) once said: "Just because you think they're all out to get you doesn't mean they aren't."
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X