Old Sovtek EL34G, similar tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Sovtek EL34G, similar tube?

I know these aren't generally liked. But I tried four different sets of EL34's in a recent build and these old Sovtek EL34G tubes sound the best. They do need quite a bit more bias voltage than any other EL34. Whatever the difference, they work well with this amp. My trouble is that the pair I have is a tad too microphonic for use in a combo cabinet. Having tried several tubes already, and having found a pair that works but is no longer in production, I'm stuck about what to replace them with.?. Anyone know of an EL34 that seems to need a bit more bias voltage than others??? It may have other similar characteristics too. Like mating with this OT's primary Z, etc. I'm thinking KT66 so far. But I'm not familiar with enough current production EL34's to rule them out. Suggestions appreciated.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Not positive on this but don't E34L's need a bit more bias voltage?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Nope. EL34's typically need less -V than, say, 6L6's, KT66's or 6550's for a given wattage out. With a corresponding distortion figure. Higher mu tube. The amp in question is a Fender/Vox hybrid. So I'd like to keep the upper mid "KERANGG!" when pushed a little. And these tubes are doing it for me. But other EL34's seem to come apart with the bias vary trem or when trying to get more headroom on the "Fender" channel. The amp is great with any tube. I'm just obsessing now because I have a little time on this one.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

might be referring (specifically) to old black base Tesla (E34L)?

Comment

Chuck, I meant E34L's as opposed to EL34's. That's why I don't like that designator, people mis-read it all the time, just looks like a typo .
          As Dai mentioned, it may have just been the Tesla's, I'm not sure about the new ones. The first time I saw the E34L's, they were Groove Tube and I'm pretty sure they were Teslas. There was a note from Groove on them that said they ran hotter than regular EL34's for a given bias, I think by 20% ?
          Anyway, you had to increase the bias voltage to get them running on par with regular EL34s.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ah, got it. That's the info I was looking for. Unfortunately I just had a new pair of EL34L's go POP the moment I tried to push them a little. I'll need to find a vendor I have more confidence in before I'll buy another pair of those.

I ended up putting in a pair of 6L6's I had on hand. They sound great with the amp in "Fender" mode. But the "Vox" mode lost a lot of blangy, jingly mojo. I will try another pair of L's when I can.

Comment

I thought they were EL34L's. I've looked at sooo many possible tubes and I don't know why I thought that was the designation on the bad pair I got from thetubestore. Those were actually the Tung Sol EL34B!?! of the four different pairs of tubes I tried in this amp the very best sounding (and performing) were the old Sovtek EL34G tubes. A Google search reveals that everyone hated these tubes?!? After loading the chassis into it's combo cab I realized that the tubes are a little microphonic. Now I don't wan't to lose the mojo. What I like best about these tubes is that (1) they need a little more bias voltage than other EL34's and that suits the bias vary trem in this amp very nicely. And (2) they have a strong mid character that brings out the "Vox" mode of the amp. A little research shows that the JJ E34L has a strong midrange and needs a little more bias. So I ordered a pair. I'll report on how it goes. Thanks for the guidance.

Comment

My only experience with the old Sovtek EL34G's were in my brother's old Sovtek Mig 60 head. One set got horribly microphonic on little use, and the other set....well we wer eplaying one day and I see smoke out of his amp. So we shut it off and I look, and one of the Sovteks had a hole sucked from the inside in the glass....yah it got really hot and cooked itself. No problem with the amp either...it was the tube giving up the ghost itself.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                X