why 1M input on most M style amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
    If you like the tone, do it. It knocks off a little of the high end from the guitar, but then lots of people have liked that in the past, some quite famous and well thought of.

There is at least one commercial pedal that has advertising babble talking about how wonderfully mellow, less harsh, yada, yada that the magic box makes guitar sound. Inside are two jacks, a pot and a resistor so you can dial the pot down to load the guitar pickups more.

And people pay money for it, I guess.
    WOW!!! You mean, basically
    in parallel with the guitar's 250K-500K volume pot?
    That's messed up!!
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Steve, (I'm guessing) the order is probably correct, and I think I'm misremembering the info I had in mind on the buffering. This is (partly) what was in mind (no affliation) :

fat-guitar(???,?????)??????|?????? ???? ???? ????/UniAwaking_en

I think it is factual that wah into Fuzz Face doesn't work well since the wah output doesn't have enough drive, but I seem to be in error about placement and use of the Univibe after the wah as buffer. My own experimentation told me that depending on the input a conventional Crybaby cct. wah is plugged into, you end up losing the effect and getting instability and (if the following is a Fuzz Face) you don't get a nice "wah'ed fuzz" effect unless the wah output is buffered (I used a simple FET buffer and there was a problem w/too much high end so I came up w/a crude solution of just shunting some of the highs to ground w/a cap (3n3??)). So it seems (presuably after experimentation) some people are concluding Jimi used a buffer (based on his more successful sounding fuzzed wah sounds). Historically, I think wah then buffer then fuzz already existed in the Vox Fuzz Wah pedal (if I read the schem correctly, there was a BJT transistor used there).

Comment

FWIW, not talking specifically about Jimi but personal experience way back then .

Wah after Fuzz was "too much Wah", since the Fuzz created so may overtones (narrow non symmetrical duty squarewave) and the Wah exxagerated that a lot; while the opposite:
        Wah into Fuzz, in a way damped a lot the proper Wah effect (by smashing whatever was sent into it) but had the very useful property that the Wah was used as a selective boost.

A couple Guitar Player friends kicked both in for solos, and used the Wah not the conventional way but to improve and select sustain on certain strings.

They were quite experienced in "chasing" what they were playing, and did it in an almost "automatic" way.

Santana was a Guitar God, and the wah helped achieve that liquid endless sustain.

Well, now you can guess what year we are talking about
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
        X