Strat style single coils - Over powering d/g sting output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat style single coils - Over powering d/g sting output

I'm still a really new and very green hobbyist winder, still tons of questions. So, here's the next one. . .

A local luthier has tried some of my Strat style single coil pickups. He was commenting that he finds that with some "top tier" manufacturer s/c's that his clients request for their instruments that the d & g strings are overpowering compared to the other strings on staggered pickups. His solution is to hammer the d & g magnets down to move them away from the strings (I told him not to do that with mine, just send them back to me as the cured lacquer on the Alnico pole pieces could easily break some windings when moved). Anyway, he has tried what I am winding and tells me that mine have much more balanced output string to string. Would the overpowering d & g string output be due to how the Alnico's are magnetized possibly? Not sure how the top tier pickup makers magnetize that style of pickup, but is it possible that the magnetizing process could produce weaker charge on the shorter Alnico pole pieces? When I do it, I under charge the magnets and adjust the gauss level on each of the 6 magnets so that each is magnetized to the same target gauss level.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Sounds like your doing it right.
    I do the other way.
    I charge all magnets the same, and let the stagger determine the string pull.
    I use my own light modified stagger pattern.
    IMO the Stagger that uses the high G, is too much, and is too strong.
    I make that magnet a little shorter.
    I use a medium magnet on the High E, short B, Medium G, tall D, medium A, & E magnets.
    It takes a while to figure all the stagger out, or you can just make them all the same, and adjust the gauss.
    I have found most players like the look of staggered beveled magnets.
    Players in every area are a little different in what is hot, and what is not!
    ** Here is the Stagger PDF in the Resources Thread.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...magstagger.pdf
    Most of these were for 4 wound strings, and 2 bare strings.
    That is why a bare G string magnet is too tall.
    Also most stagger was for old style 7.5"-9.5" radius necks.
    Most Necks now are flatter, and need less or no stagger.
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-19-2013, 04:50 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Jim,

I've looked at matching stagger to fingerboard (and thus string) radius before.

My ears can't pick up much (if any) difference between the flat and staggered arrangements on my guitars ... however, I only really do bridge pickups in a flat.

My measurements show that the "traditional" stagger matches a 13" radius ... but the necks were in the 7.5" - 9.5" radius (as T pointed out)

in theory the stagger on the vintage setup would de-emphasis D & G as they would be furthest from the corresponding mags.

The newer/flatter radius (eg 16" ) would emphasise D & G as the would be closest.

I think your approach of setting the Gausse at string heights is probably the best.

Comment

Good Debate!
        I think the original intent to Stagger was a couple of things back in the days of Leo Fender!
        1. the 7.5" radius
        2. 4 Wound strings instead of just 3 today
        3. It was Easier to charge all magnets to full strength, than to charge then degauss.
        Also on Degauss, they may have had the fear that magnets not fully charged may eventually lose their charge(Remember that Alnico was new and untested).
        The most popular neck radius on most guitars, today is 9.5, & 13 inch radius.
        About the only radius I've seen higher than 13 inch is a compound radius.
        Keep in mind also that lots of players still have the vintage mentality.
        They love the look of staggered, and Beveled magnets, especially with Stratocasters.
        Also in the line of Staggered and beveled is the look of Cloth wire. Players love that old look.
        Anyone else got any good ideas about the G, & D String pull?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X