No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Lace Pickups team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Frank, You snooze- you lose. Welcome to the webs largest collection of adult ADHD forum posters. Now, about my train set...

Comment

Well, the sad truth is that there are only a small number of us who actually think about (or care about) these issues to this level. For most builders and customers, their understanding of Tone stops at the adjustments to the EQ curve. When those of us who dig deeper than that happen to get together on one thread, we start babbling.... and everyone else rolls their collective eyes.

Comment

Necro! I care. I don't have the expertise and all to seriously appreciate these things as you folks do, but I love reading about it. The stories are especially great.

Comment

Bump because this is one of the most interesting threads I've read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertone Jockey View Post
            Bump because this is one of the most interesting threads I've read here.
            There is a lot more in the future of guitar pickup technology than just winding 5,000 to 10,000 turns of AWG 42 or 43 magnet wire around some magnets. We are currently using a technology that has evolved from using the high input impedance of very early PA amps that were adapted to the guitar. If we shift our thinking to how microphones in the 150 ohm to 300 ohms range operate, we can get beyond a point where the transmission line (guitar cable) and other internal capacitances limits our understanding about the full potential of guitar sounds.

When I was a teenager, going to college (1963) at the Jersey Shore (Monmouth College, now Monmouth University) one of my good friend's father was an Engineer at Ft Monmouth, guitar player, guitar teacher and also worked at Danelectro in Neptune NJ. He got me interested in music electronics and I have been tinkering with guitars, pickups and amps ever since.

Joseph J. Rogowski
            Last edited by bbsailor; 03-27-2015, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
              If we shift our thinging to how microphones in the 150 ohm to 300 ohms range operate, we can get beyond a point where the transmission line (guitar cable) and other internal capacitances limits our understanding about the full potential of guitar sounds.
              From the point of view of an outsider looking in, it appears to me that the guitar tones we've come to revere are the result of happy accident or pushing against the limits of the technology. As technology moves and new devices or techniques are employed, first there's resistance on an aesthetic level, then mimicry and acceptance (in that order?), and then finally a new standard to be observed and revered. Rock on, tone pioneers!
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Why did Lace drop the TransSensor, i still have a telewoth a red transsensor in the neck position and a red sensor in thr bridge position, if my memory serves me I was talking with Don Lace , ot was just after the transsensor came out, i had asked him his suggestion as to what lace pickups i should use, imtold him i had a red sensor and he suggested that the new TransSensor would compliment the red......now its been years, what was the difference between the sensors and transsensors and why did they stop making them and what pickup in todays inventory is closest in sound to the transensor or which pickup replaced it and why...i hope i get an answer its driving me crazy, i need to know and not many people remember the transsensor...thanks

Comment

Working...
                X