Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown 50s amp

Hi everyone;

Does anyone recognize this amp. Spend many hours searching the net, no luck. Here's what I do know....

Speaker: 1 x 12" 8 ohm. Not original
    Tubes: 2-6V6, 1-5Y3, 2-6SL7, 1-UNKNOWN
    Two channels each with Bright input
    Effects: Tremelo only
    Wood footswitch (ATTACHED to UNIT, not detachable)
    internal electronics are from japan (caps and such)
    Electronics are similar to gibson ga-20

Things I feel stand out and have out seen before are the CUTAWAY SIDE PANELS, WOOD footswitch and the HANDLE.

If anyone knows this amp, please let me know.

Here's some pics.....

Thanks

Ringling,

I have a 2x6l6 amp similar to your amp - Similar funky styling and the same wood footswitch, big handle, and Japanese innards. My amp is an "Excelsior". Excelsior makes/made accordions. It is likely that another manufacturer made the amp and it was re-badged excelsior (or something else). My amp has 12ax7s in the preamp, so I can't help ID the unknown tube. Mine had a Jensen Blue Bell speaker. It was also hand-numbered and dated 1958. Since yours has octals in the preamp it is likely older than that. Check "Excelsior" in online auctions. I found an amp exactly like mine where the seller had posted a picture of the schematic. My amp was only known as "Model 60". Hardly any info is available on these.

Bill

Comment

Excelsior Amp

I have an Excelsior amp that has the same control panel and tube layout as yours. The tube lineup in mine is 2x6V6GTA, 3x6SL7GT, 5Y3GT, so your unknown tube is probably another 6SL7. You should also be able to check the year it was made by the numbers on the transormer. The 3rd number from the end should be the year.
      Last edited by gtracer; 03-31-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

look like gibson amp very much

Comment

Are there any numbers stamped into the transformers?

Marc

Comment

love that footswitch. reminds me of the rubber doorstop footswitches.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

The cabinet looks like a Lafayette LA-75 good chance they had the same manufacturer

Comment

Wow, it looks like it comes from the same factory as my Orpheum (another late '50s mystery).

Here's a short clip of it's test drive straight in with a Tele: Orpheum 6AQ5 amp & Telecaster - YouTube

My amp has a slightly different tube line up: (1) 6AU6, (2) 12AX7, (2) 6AQ5 & (1) 5Y3 rectifier. 3 inputs, Mic, Accordion & Guitar. Single volume & Tone Control, Tremolo Speed & Intensity. It has a 12" Jensen Concert DP Alnico 5 speaker. My amp is a '59. The chassis looks to be Japanese built. It's loaded with old Nippon caps. I bought it from a Tech at a music gear swap meet. He had two, this amp and a slightly larger dual 6V6 powered version. I've never seen these before. It was running fine when I got it but needed the 2-prong plug replaced with a grounded one and the death cap removed. I also added a speaker jack inside so I can unplug the Jensen and run it through an extension cab. It has a real nice blues tone clean with a Tele and RAWKS when boosted with a clean boost. I'm really digging the 6AQ5 power section.

Comment

A lot of these "bargain" amps of that era were made by some generic manufacturer and then branded by whoever was distributing them,Laffayette is one that comes to mind.Looks to be a knock off of one of the early fender tweeds,with an extra tube thrown in for the tremolo.I would think it is the same as gtracers Excelsior and I'm sure a few others.Its a good bet that unknown tube is a 6SL7 as well.It could also be that someone put a 6SN7 in there,same pin-out different gain character,but would work,thats why it looks like a different tube.

Comment

I think the builder in this case was Univox. I've done some research and have made some construction comparisons and that's what the evidence is pointing to.

There are some chassis similarities between the Univox in the top of this pic and my Orpheum below. Both had models with open sides and stamped braces in the corners that had the exact same curve stamped into them to make them more rigid.

And then there are the PT's.

Comment

Um, have you changed that large blackened resistor next to the PT yet?
                      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

At least spec it. But, I have seen old wire wounds look like that and last for years. I've seen them work with the ceramic coating completely crumbled away.

Comment

Actually I did change it. It read 202 ohm, I assumed it was originally 200 so that's what I put in. Can't read anything on it because the writing has been burned off. It looks like 10W but I put in a 20w Ohmite just to be safe. I figured 10 may not be enough anyway judging by it's looks. The cap next to it was replaced at some point too, probably because the resistor slow roasted it. It's a nice sounding little amp. I really like it's 6AQ5 power section. It's kind of in between a 6V6 and a EL84 in the tone department.

Comment

Working...
                          X