No announcement yet.

Parts-Issues, Parts Needed, Parts in General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the measurements of my keepers. Spacers are the same and the mags at .125 thick. Keep everything in house and cut out the discrepancy. Make sure your magnet supplier is consistant and it all marries up.

Comment

I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
      Had the tilt problem with HB from Mojo and Stu.

Didn't make sense to me that their parts wouldn't
      match-up. Now I know.

Between that and the bobbins looking used when
      you get them (no protective cover) and looking worse
      if you wipe the dust off it sure has made my first rounds
      building Humbuckers off to a bad start.
      Last edited by Justwannano; 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM. Reason: removed "derailing" question

Comment

Originally posted by Justwannano View Post
        I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
        Had the tilt problem with HB from Mojo and Stu.

Didn't make sense to me that their parts wouldn't
        match-up. Now I know.

Between that and the bobbins looking used when
        you get them (no protective cover) and looking worse
        if you wipe the dust off it sure has made my first rounds
        building Humbuckers off to a bad start.
        Your not going crazy, or doing anything wrong!
        It is just Piss Poor Parts that we are getting.
        Then calling something authentic PAF reproduction parts, and using imported 3mm steel and charging $3.40 for it?
        That is really absurd.
        I emailed mojo last night and told them all of the forum members were aware of the wrong dimensions.
        That they needed to fix it, cause I think they are going to have a hard time selling them.
        The Slug bobbin is not so bad, it sits on the magnet on one side, and sits on the spacer on the other.
        The real problem is the screw bobbin.
        It sits on the magnet on one edge, and sits on the keeper for the rest of its support.
        If the keeper is too thin, that is where the issue is.
        You can shim up the other side next to the cable, but then the keeper is not tight against the baseplate, and a cause for microphonics.
        The answer like Jonson says, is to have all three pieces, .125" thick, Magnet, spacer, and keeper.
        Very elementary, but important just the same!
        T
        **Edit Note
        Just got an email from David Shepherd at Mojo.
        He said he would persue getting it fixed from his suppliers.
        Don't expect anything quick on that!
        Last edited by big_teee; 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thank you Terry.

I had two other issues with the HB kits.
          I had to drill wire hole so it would exit base in right place
          and had to modify the legs so they would be shorter for body mount rather than top or pickguard mount- both I thought as just part of it.

I've found only three places that offer kits- one I haven't tried yet-and two that I have have been bad trips with the HB kits.

They're really kind of taking the fun out of it for those that don't want to get into building or rounding up all the individual parts. IMO based
          on limited experience. Hope my view gets changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwannano View Post
            Thank you Terry.

I had two other issues with the HB kits.
            I had to drill wire hole so it would exit base in right place
            and had to modify the legs so they would be shorter for body mount rather than top or pickguard mount- both I thought as just part of it.

I've found only three places that offer kits- one I haven't tried yet-and two that I have have been bad trips with the HB kits.

They're really kind of taking the fun out of it for those that don't want to get into building or rounding up all the individual parts. IMO based
            on limited experience. Hope my view gets changed.
            My last Humbuckers I built were from the Mojo PAF kits.
            Everything looked good except the keeper was an inferior product.
            If you use a long leg PAF kit, rather than altering the baseplate, I would carefully route a deeper hole in the guitar body.
            On drilling the wire hole, the push back shielded wire is small and is usually very long.
            Everyone just uses the one hole and lets the wire cross the pickup on the bottom.
            Guitar USA has a kit, but it uses a Brass Baseplate, I don't recommend using any metal but Nickel.
            Last edited by big_teee; 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I just got steel keepers from Philadelphia Luthier and they look the same as the Mojo ones (based on photos of the Mojo keepers I've seen here).

They're .118 in height and appear to be machined on one of the widest dimension surfaces only. They told me they're made of 12L14 steel. Pole screws fit loose. I like them snug.
              Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Coon View Post
                I just got steel keepers from Philadelphia Luthier and they look the same as the Mojo ones (based on photos of the Mojo keepers I've seen here).

They're .118 in height and appear to be machined on one of the widest dimension surfaces only. They told me they're made of 12L14 steel. Pole screws fit loose. I like them snug.
                I think that Philadelphia Luthier is buying a lot of stuff from Mojo.
                Mojo is a discount supplier, and sell lots of stuff for resale.
                I've used a lot of stamped keepers that work fine metal wise, but they still have the .118" issue.
                If your going to end up with a .118" keeper, then you might as well just use the stamped cheaper model IMO.
                Terry

Comment

My reason for making as much in house is precisely what is happening here. You are paying for parts that the quality control has gone to the dogs and that is wrong. I insist on stuff I have made or stuff that I buy is checked and even on a laser or cnc it needs to checked during the run not just at the begining. Enough people say what they need and stop buying what is wrong and they will get the message. I've said before do your own computer programs for stuff you have machined and lasered and if your work is right insist that the finished item is right. If you buy from a parts dealer and it is wrong let this forum know and you can be sure the sales guys read all this and they need to get their act together or all will end up like me buying sod all cept wire and magnets and that will not help any of their businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
                    My reason for making as much in house is precisely what is happening here. You are paying for parts that the quality control has gone to the dogs and that is wrong. I insist on stuff I have made or stuff that I buy is checked and even on a laser or cnc it needs to checked during the run not just at the begining. Enough people say what they need and stop buying what is wrong and they will get the message. I've said before do your own computer programs for stuff you have machined and lasered and if your work is right insist that the finished item is right. If you buy from a parts dealer and it is wrong let this forum know and you can be sure the sales guys read all this and they need to get their act together or all will end up like me buying sod all cept wire and magnets and that will not help any of their businesses.
                    Exactly, and Jonson, you are right on!
                    That is why I started this thread, and why I sent several emails to Mojo.
                    Instead of just complaining about things, I try to get results.
                    Lots of times if someone has the oppurtunity to fix things, and are made aware of issues and problems, they will choose to fix it.
                    On the making of parts, you are the exception, and not the rule.
                    It is the best way if you are in full blown business and can swing it.
                    It is too much for most of us to do, that just want to wind a few quality pickups.
                    Most of us here are like myself and are hobbyist, or do things on a small scale, and chose to use ready made parts.
                    That is a one of the main differences between this forum, and the regular pickup forum.
                    In the main pickup forum, most winders are professionals, want no excuses, and no obstacle is too large.
                    In this area, my work ethic is, "I'm real hard to get Started, but I'm real easy to Stop"!
                    Maybe we can get this issue fixed, if anyone knows of a pet peave part post it here, and we will kick it around!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

I also sent an email to Guitar Parts USA.
                      I used to buy baseplates and bobbins from them.
                      I requested that a nickel baseplate be an add-on substitute option for the brass baseplate, in there Humbucker kits.
                      If the nickel baseplate was an option, it might be a pretty good kit.
                      However I personally Don't recommend the brass baseplate, for regular Humbuckers.
                      Brass will give you a darker tone.
                      Guitar Pickup Kits - Guitar Parts USA – The Source for Guitar Parts for Electric, Bass Guitars
                      T
                      **Just got an email update from GPUSA.
                      They are out of Nickel baseplates, but as soon as they are in stock they will offer a Humbucker Kit with Nickel baseplate.
                      Last edited by big_teee; 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Just Changed the Name of this Thread.
                        Put any Parts and Material posts in this thread.
                        Update on Guitar Parts USA.
                        The Web Store is under New ownership.
                        They are updating the web site, and going to work on getting more USA made parts.
                        I already informed them of the Keeper problem.
                        I don't have an answer on if they will now Internationally Ship or not.
                        I will give an update to this when I get an Answer.
                        Have a Regular Parts Problem, list it here?
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 06-27-2013, 06:22 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Part problems have always been a problem , parts not compatible with other parts ,wrong parts .....,but it seems to fix itself ,whether the seller corrects the problem or we ourselves modify it to work.
                          The problems I have lately are mostly parts being out of stock .....Thats why I am getting more & more of my parts custom made or making them myself
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Wolfe at Wolfetone and I started this forum in 1999 on www.1800 instruments which eventually moved here to ampage and guess what? This topic has been ongoing for 14 years along with parts supply problems but on the other hand its WAY easier than it was 20 years ago. it costs alot of $ to have all your parts made for you even if you make alot of them in house- not to many people have tools or chops to make every part in house like injection moulds and deep draw stamping. Even if you do have your parts made specifically for you, you still have to monitor them closely. It never really gets easier and its amazing how much time you have to spend fussing with having parts made.
                            What i would do is have everyone make dimensional drawings in cad of the part- come up with a consensus and have everyone draw the same thing up with your company name on it with the same tolerance allowance and have everyone send it in to whoever is making the part or wqhoever you are buying it from - I imagine they would be more likely to listen to 10 people over one guy that buys a "small" amount of parts on occasion. There are standard machining tolerances so expect some possible variance but it should only be something like + or - .005 depending on what it is. Its the only thing I can think of- like I said its the same story for the last 14 years this forum has been going

Comment

Jason has it exactly right.

We had a similar discussion about having pole screws made, and some people did just that, but no real consensus drawings emerged.

But for covers and baseplates, how many necessarily different mechanical designs are there? I'm not talking about exact replacements for the XYZ vintage ABC - that's hopeless. The issue is for making new stuff.

Comment

you would think making the parts would be obvious- if you are making a copy of lets say a firebird pickup why would you make the covers a different length than vintage? Who knows. So now you have two different sizes and there are more guitars with longer covers than there are original vintage guitars. it turns into a mess.
                                What I am saying is if you are talking to machinists- they are use to having drawings, get enough drawings with the same specs from different places and maybe they will make it the way everyone wants. Believe it or not though sometimes its hard to get a consensus- you might all want keeper bars with varying lengths, been there.

Comment

Working...
                                X