No announcement yet.

Parts-Issues, Parts Needed, Parts in General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was just hoping to get the main suppliers to make the keeper bars the right thickness, and width.
    I can live with a little variation in length.
    In this area very few of us are going to have anything specially made.
    Hopefully Jason can do that, then we will eventually get the residual effect.
    Sorta like how we got Tang, as a result of the Space Program.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Here is the Reply from David Shepherd at mojo, in response to the keeper thickness.
      Item in question.
      http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...ar-49-2mm-1-94

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay. I spoke to my supplier about the vintage keeper. It was specked after an original '57 keeper although we know here from doing rewinds on these old PAF's that no 2 were alike with magnet thickness, keeper, baseplate, etc. Gibson used more than one source for pickup parts back then which explains some of the variances and confusion out there (everyone is right but they all have conflicting information!). Anyhow back to the keeper issue.... The material is a 1018 mild steel that comes in limited gauges. According to my supplier the next gauge up is too thick and would require taking the thickness down which in turn would raise the cost 5-6 times what we pay now. I wish I could tell you that we can get them .125'' exact but unfortunately that would be very cost prohibitive for us. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

So much for paying extra for a vintage keeper that's not Vintage at all.
      So buy at own risk, and YMMV.
      I for one am not paying that for a metric keeper that is the wrong thickness.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

What 'bout Addiction FX's keepers? They look pretty good, if you ask me.

They are sold as 1018. I don't have any right now to take a caliper measure.

Any takers?
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Addiction FX's keepers are .187" x .123" x 2.213 ".
          The thickness varies a little .1245" in places
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            Addiction FX's keepers are .187" x .123" x 2.213 ".
            The thickness varies a little .1245" in places
            I agree, they are better.
            I like the mojo way, cause that is where I buy most of my parts, and stuff.
            Was hoping they would fix it.
            Most love them, but last time I did the ADFX thing, was like pulling hens teeth(Slow).
            Was mainly trying to get it fixed for the group, I haven't been making many buckers lately.
            I wonder what Allparts, and Others sell?
            The ones in the burstbuckers Gibson sells are just right.
            T
            Terry

Comment

Does anyone have a cheaper place to buy 28 Gauge 4 wire with shield?
              Looking for a source that is cheaper than mojo.
              At retail it is running 93 Cents a foot?
              Member buddha0709 is looking for a cheaper source?
              T
              Terry

Comment

Thats pretty much the going price.
                If he's only making a few pups for himself . & in a bind, usb cables are 4 conductor plus a bare wire .I've have seen some exactly like Mojotones 4 conductor
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  The ones in the burstbuckers Gibson sells are just right.
                  Because they aren't buying them from retail sources. They are having them made for them. All the rest are copies.

We can't assume a bunch of different manufacturers parts are going to work together. They are copies of Gibson pickups, but lets not pretend there is some kind of industry standard here. A lot of these parts come from Asian companies that make their own pickups, and they just happen to sell the parts. So if you get all the parts from the same source they should fit.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I was hoping you had a cheaper place for buddha0709 to buy cable.
                    Looks like It is all around a Buck a foot, unless you buy it by the roll somewhere?
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Does anyone have a cheaper place to buy 28 Gauge 4 wire with shield?
                      Looking for a source that is cheaper than mojo.
                      At retail it is running 93 Cents a foot?
                      Member buddha0709 is looking for a cheaper source?
                      T
                      I buy mine from WD Music. It's $0.090 retail, and half that price wholesale. I like it better than the Mojo wire. It's way more flexible.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I was hoping you had a cheaper place for buddha0709 to buy cable.
                        Looks like It is all around a Buck a foot, unless you buy it by the roll somewhere?
                        T
                        Somehow I missed the original question!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          I buy mine from WD Music. It's $0.090 retail, and half that price wholesale. I like it better than the Mojo wire. It's way more flexible.
                          Do you have a link for that wire, be easier than him trying to look it up?
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

* WD Music Products - CABLE - 4 CONDUCTOR PICKUP - UNCUT (PER FOOT)

Comment

thanks guys, I figured a little under $1 is about the going price, what I was looking for was cable that is used for something else that would also work for pickups. I'm not looking for anything high quality, just something that I could use while I am experimenting. I'll look into the usb cable and i'll probably get the WD stuff once I get the hang of making pickups a few months down the road.

Comment

You can probably get cheaper cable, but it might not be shielded.

Comment

Working...
                                X