X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will_White View Post
    What are your thoughts on using the 5/16 on a J pickup, 1 per string? /
    I think it would work fine.
    I use the 3/8" for P-Bass Pickups, but for individual coils.
    It seems like the bigger magnets have less dead spots.
    Here's the 5/16 in a size 35 Soap bar.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

IME the 5/16"D mag will sound anywhere from somewhat different to significantly different depending on what wire you wind and how you wind it. whether that is a good thing depends on what you're aiming for and whether you achieved it.

if you're using standard J shaped flatwork and covers, it could also be a challenge to get a full 9K turns of 42 wire without getting too wide to fit into the cover.

Comment

IMO everything I've made with the big magnets sounds better than the small magnets.
        If you need more turns make them taller and use 43 or 44spn.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 06-02-2015, 12:45 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
          IME the 5/16"D mag will sound anywhere from somewhat different to significantly different depending on what wire you wind and how you wind it. whether that is a good thing depends on what you're aiming for and whether you achieved it.

if you're using standard J shaped flatwork and covers, it could also be a challenge to get a full 9K turns of 42 wire without getting too wide to fit into the cover.
          Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          IMO everything I've made with the big magnets sounds better than the small magnets.
          If you need more turns make them taller and use 43 or 44spn.
          T
          It is going to be for an existing bass, I was planning on using 43 for this J since I'm going to try my hand at a split J so I have a noiseless P/J set, thinking 3/8th mags on the P, and 5/16th on the J should have a similar number of turns, probably going to wind the J first with as many turns as I can fit then use that as the basis for the P wind, I don't really have any tonal goal I'm shooting for except a semi balanced P/J set without 60 cycle hum.

Comment

This guy makes some different looking bass pickups.
            Some with big poles.
            Sentell Pickups bass guitar pickups
            I like the variation of the multi-coil for a J- bass.
            T
            Terry

Comment

So I've been emailing back and forth with Shea and it looks like it's a no go on the .75" bar magnets, which is kind of a bummer because I really didn't want to have to use a magnetized steel blade, but hey it'll save me money.

Comment

I will email him later, and express the need for a .70-.75 x .200 x 2.75 Ceramic magnet.
                I will tell him it would have many uses.
                T
                **Edit
                Email sent for something in a cheap Ceramic 8, .200" x .72-.75" x 2.65-2.75" universal magnet.
                I will keep you posted, on the progress.
                Last edited by big_teee; 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  I will email him later, and express the need for a .70-.75 x .200 x 2.75 Ceramic magnet.
                  I will tell him it would have many uses.
                  T
                  **Edit
                  Email sent for something in a cheap Ceramic 8, .200" x .72-.75" x 2.65-2.75" universal magnet.
                  I will keep you posted, on the progress.
                  Shea will get back to us tomorrow on some Ceramic options.
                  He asked if we would prefer C5 or C8?
                  I told him C8, but I'm not sure which would have the best universal tone?
                  Any input on Magnet type?
                  A5 would be great, but I think they would be pretty pricey!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

I would be ok with either, for bass pickups I would prefer C8.

Comment

On the Wider Bar magnets, I got this from Shea at MH today.

"Ceramic 8 measuring 0.200" (+/-0.004) thk X 0.75" (+/-0.008) wd X 2.75" (+/-0.004) lg and magnetized thru the width"

Does that sound like something usable?
                      I have scored ceramics and broken them, sometimes successfully.
                      If used in J pickups they should fit right in the flatwork once the center is cut out?
                      Or maybe we want them shorter for a split J.
                      If they are shorter, You could use two side by side for a SC bar J pickup?
                      T
                      **Edit
                      What if we went with shorter bars?
                      Like .200" x .75" x 1.25", or whatever the optimum length would be for a split J?
                      Then if you want a SC, just use 2 bar magnets side by side?
                      Also, maybe the height needs to be less, like .70" wide Bar instead of the .75".
                      Then use the Split J pickup assembly in a no holes cover?
                      Last edited by big_teee; 06-06-2015, 02:52 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

I would much rather have to long of a magnet that I had to cut, then to short of one. Those magnets seem like they would be pretty much perfect for a 4 string j type or humbucker.

Comment

OK, on the longer magnet.
                          Is there anymore interest for a wider magnet out there?
                          If there is not, I don't think I can justify having him stock them.
                          I told him, we would discuss it some more here, and I would get back to him mid next week.
                          So if anyone wants a wider magnet please speak up. Two of us, is not enough!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Have you posted in the main forum?

Comment

No.
                              I mainly post here.
                              Lots of the guys over there read posts over here.

T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X