My shop is for the birds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My shop is for the birds.

So it is a nice summer evening, I have the shop door open, and the overhead door in the loading dock open, getting some fresh air in here.

As I sit here, a hear a fluttering and find a bird has flown into the shop. Flew around a few times, then flew back out the loading dock.

An odd little distraction I wouldn't have predicted.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Today it's the birds and the bees, I guess.

I was working in the shop, custom fabricating a piece of G10/FR4 for a power supply rebuild, and a bumblebee flew in through the exhaust fan that I had forgotten to turn on.

I guess they know it's the first day of Summer.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I was on the phone & a wasp flew by right in front of me.
      It's creepy the way they fly , with there legs hanging down.

Comment

Since we're on the subject of wildlife... Several years ago, when I was working at a shop that did consumer A/V, I opened up a CRT big screen and found a dead rat laying on the main PCB. The rotting corpse had eaten through traces on the circuit board. A very "interesting" repair to say the least.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I still like finding the living spiders in my amp chassis. But I used to find way more interesting lifeforms in peoples' cars when I worked on them. I'm also glad the cicadas are gone; now we just wait for the Stinging Pterodactyls (giant hornets) to come out...

Living things are pretty darn cool, even if they really inconvenience us sometimes.

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Sometimes when old, dirty, strange smelling amps arrive at my shop I have them CAT scanned before I open them up.
            Attached Files

Comment

I get she can really shred too.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                Sometimes when old, dirty, strange smelling amps arrive at my shop I have them CAT scanned before I open them up.
                My one cat has 'sniffed' every single amp that he has seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                  now we just wait for the Stinging Pterodactyls (giant hornets) to come out...
                  The Eastern US gets treated with these bad boys.
                  Cicada Killing Wasps.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	cicada_killer_wasp_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	829437Click image for larger version

Name:	cicada_killer_wasp-rule.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	829438
                  The only item that they are missing is 'landing lights'

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                    when cat scanning, you've got to be careful about letting them inspect a bass rig with a ported enclosure:

Click image for larger version

Name:	the_cat_in_a_cab.jpg
Size:	601.9 KB
ID:	829439

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                      My one cat has 'sniffed' every single amp that he has seen.
                      That beats having a dog sniff your amp! I am sure that they are going to piss on it.

Steve
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

all things considered, i think a dog peeing on the outside would be better than a cat peeing on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                          all things considered, i think a dog peeing on the outside would be better than a cat peeing on the inside.
                          At your own house, yes. But it was usually a dog that would run up as I was setting up my equipment at someone's house- or at a bar that had dogs running in and out. In my experience it was always my own cat at home who would pee or poop in my shoes (or whatever) whenever he was pissed off at me.

The big problem was that once one dog pissed on your amp or cab every other dog in the world would want to claim it as its own. I don't think that cats are quite as territorial as dogs and when they sniff at something it is not usually for them to determine if the item needs to be rebranded with its own urine.

Steve
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Bats, around here. Not recently thanx goodness. When one shows up just have to not panic & open windows & doors. They always find their way back out.

Nothing like waking up 5 AM on a summer morning to find a big brown bat zooming around the room. And no I wasn't up all night partying with Hunter S. Thompson... maybe IT was.

Yes those cicada-killers are awesome. You should see them do battle. Lucky they seem to ignore humans.

Cicadas just starting to get going here in upstate NY. The woods are howling with them. Sounds like a car idling with a bad water pump or loose belt. In neighborhoods nearby their husks are piling up. The only one I've seen right here was in the beak of a satisfied-looking bird.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Bob, that's spooky - you sure it's your cat? There's stuff out there we don't know about.....

Comment

Working...
                              X