Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey XR600C Mixer Amp --- is there hope for revival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR600C Mixer Amp --- is there hope for revival?

I have a Peavey XR 600C Mixer Amp I think it .dates back to 1990. My only guess is it from that year is because it has a date labeled on the power side PCB "10-2-90" along with other sharpie pen type marks here and there. It hasn't been used in awhile and I was resoldering a wired connection to the reverb tank that looked bad because the reverb had stopped working. Afterwards I tried to power it up and there is no signal that is coming through it. There is a little amp noise coming through the speaker but no signal when I try any input through any of the channels. Im sure I re-connected the Mixer PCB correctly after doing the soldering work to the reverb connector wire.... meaning that I properly reset the pinned connectors to the PCB. I dont think I trashed it... But i really dont know. It seems like it can be fixed, but not sure how costly or feasible the repairs are. I've seen posts on this unit on this forum before and was hoping some one may be able to help.

Thanks

Of course it can be fixed. It can run forever.

Plug a signal into the power amp in jack, sound come out?

Plug a signal into an input channel. Does it come out the main out jack on the front? (Connect that to another amp)

On the master board is an AUX in jack. Does that make sound out the speaker? Make sure to have the appropriate controls up for that AUX.

Did you pull the graphic board? ANy chance it was put back off one pin on the connectors?

Does the power light come on on the front?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the response Enzo!

In response to your trouble shooting questions:

1. I do get a signal from the speaker when I plug a guitar into the power amp in jack. Its not loud but its clear and audible.

2. Not sure about this one? Is the main out powered or is it passive like the monitor outs? I have a powered monitor I can use if so.

3. I tried the aux Jack in and I didnt get any sound out of the speaker. I turned the master up and still nothing.

4. It is entirely possible I didnt properly connect the white pin connector, but the there is a block for the missing pin and I think it only can work one way. I will double check. I should have photgraphed it before I took it apart.

5. The red light does still on in the front.

Its great to know that these will last as long as you say. Very handy and well built PA.

Comment

The main, monitor, and effects outputs on the front are all line level preamp outs.

The power amp in jack works? OK, use THAT as a test amp.

Aux in doesn't work, so I now suspect the graphic. Plug a spare cord from main out to power amp in. Does the mixer now work? (We bypassed the graphic)

Remove the jumper cord, and connect it from main out to graphic in. ANy help?

For that matter, try jumpering from graphic out to power amp in.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I plugged a mic into the xlr jack of one of the channels turned on the phantom power and tried the different jumper settings you suggested with no positive results. Then I tried a guitar into every channel high z input on each jumper setting you suggested. Still no signal.
          And from the earlier thread I double checked the connection to the PCB main and its in the right configuration as is the reverb tank connector.

Comment

Working...
          X