Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locked out of Linux? (Forgotten OS password)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last year I've tried a bunch of different versions of Linux.
    My favorite is Linux Mint 15.
    You can download either 32 or 64 bit, and you can make your desktop look just like XP.
    It is the number 1 downloaded distrobution.
    Is very user friendly.
    I like the version with Mate Desktop.
    Distribution Release: Linux Mint 15 (DistroWatch.com News)
    Main Page - Linux Mint
    If you Don't know if your 32 bit or 64 bit, stick with the 32 bit, it will work on either system.
    I downloaded Mint 15 with Mate, and so far it's great. It plays my DVD's ok using VLC, and I'm looking for a good audio CD player and a music recorder program too.

Sabayon was the closest to useful, as it would show the video but not the audio, unless I spent another five minutes going through check boxes every time I played a DVD. Also, even sabayon would not show the DVD's menus, but would play the entire DVD straight through from the beginning. If I tried to 'fast forward' or 'rewind' the DVD, the display would freeze up and lock up the computer.

My thumb drive was toast, so I reformatted it ala Gallagher... with a five pound hand sledge hammer.

ken
    Last edited by ken; 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM.
    www.angeltone.com

Comment

I use Mint on my HTPC which is just a generic Acer brand desktop. I use VLC for everything media related. The playlist/media library is kind of wonky but all my media is very well organized on my server/firewall machine which also runs linux.

Use the VLC Remote app on your iPhone to control VLC on your PC. Now that is slick!
      ..Joe L

Comment

Have you tried XBMC? It's available for all the major Linux distros. I run it on a Raspberry Pi attached to my TV.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Right now it's Linux Mint 15 here. It's running good with VLC for DVD's, and Audacious for music CD's. I haven't tried XBMC yet, but can when I have time.
          I'm looking at firewall/antivirus programs at the moment, and also getting my HP printer to work too.

It's sure nice to have to have a computer that works for a change.

ken
          www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
            Right now it's Linux Mint 15 here. It's running good with VLC for DVD's, and Audacious for music CD's. I haven't tried XBMC yet, but can when I have time.
            I'm looking at firewall/antivirus programs at the moment, and also getting my HP printer to work too.

It's sure nice to have to have a computer that works for a change.

ken
            I don't run any anti virus with the Mint.
            I use the Firefox Browser, and I use the add-on adblock plus, and the do not track add-on.
            I hit the check mark on the task bar and check for updates daily.
            It is about as stable as anything I've run in a while.
            If you want to customize your desktop to look like XP Classic?
            Right click on the desktop and pick change desktop background.
            Pick Theme tab.
            Customize Theme.
            Choose Redmond.
            Under Window border, choose WinMe.
            There are other things you can do to customize.
            I have most of the Programs I use on the quick Launch bar.
            Good Luck,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
              Have you tried XBMC? It's available for all the major Linux distros. I run it on a Raspberry Pi attached to my TV.
              it has been quite a while but I did try XBMC. It was cool and all, but just more than I needed.
              ..Joe L

Comment

Working...
              X