Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find an 18.5ohm 25w resistor

Hi,
    I'm having a heck of a time finding an 18.5ohm 25w sand resistor. Found some on ebay, but would like to find an electronics supplier cause I need to order more parts as well.

Would like to replace with original value etc...

I have tried:
    Mouser
    Newark / Element 14
    Jameco
    Allied
    Digikey
    MCM
    B&D
    Parts Express
    Allelectronics
    BG Micro

Click image for larger version

Name:	18.5ohm25w_resistor_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	867460

That's a 5% tolerance resistor, so why not just use an 18 ohm, it will still be within tolerance.
    Is that what burnt so badly at the far left of the picture?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yeah, this is a crossover. It got hot, the insulation caught on fire, then the hot melt glue and wood caught on fire and two resistors burned up. Kinda wild.

This isn't mine and I would like to replace with the same components originally used if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloan View Post
        Yeah, this is a crossover. It got hot, the insulation caught on fire, then the hot melt glue and wood caught on fire and two resistors burned up. Kinda wild.

This isn't mine and I would like to replace with the same components originally used if possible.
        You don't mention if you tried the original manufacturer or not. What brand is this speaker? How are you going to deal with the burned board?

Comment

18 ohms *is* the original spec.

A label saying "18.5" is generic, it means the original one can be anywhere between 17.575 and 19.425 ohms, so 18 ohms exact is *well* within spec .

FWIW, I suspect the original designer made a calculation , result was 18.5 ohms, and he was anal enough to specify *exactly* that and nothing else.

Supplier certainly pulled, say, 500 18 ohms resistors out of his last batch of 50000 or 100000 , labelled them "18.5" and charged double the standard price.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

That is not a standard value, not in 5% resistors. So it is clearly a custom part. Your could make one up from several resistors, but that is silly. The only place you are going to find one is from whoever made the speaker. Or from a dead speaker.

As was said above, it is a 5% part, so the value can be off about an ohm in either direction and the part will be within its specs. Just use an 18 ohm part.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X