Tilting amp back onto its legs almost kills volume in fx loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilting amp back onto its legs almost kills volume in fx loop

I'm playing on a relatively new (8 months) Fender Supersonic 1x12 and using the fx loop. Recently, I've found when I tilt the amp back (it comes with the legs so it is supposed to be able to do this) the volume drops to barely audible, but only if I am using the fx loop. If I disconnect the fx loop, volume goes back to normal. If I tilt the amp back to standing upright, everything is fine also. I've opened her up and searched for a loose wire that is shorting or not making a connection as a result of gravity when the amp is tilted, no luck so far.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look at more closely? DO tubes get weirded out by tilitng them backwards a bit?

Thanks in advance, Nick

NF,

Remelt all of the solder connections in the vicinity of the FX jack - both those on the jack itself, on the PCB, and any wire/cable. Also clean the jack contacts and make sure that they close with no resistance as long as you're in there.

Rob

Comment

I'd be testing the cords you connect to the loop jacks, after all, it is the cords that flex when you tilt.

Take a cord you absolutely know is good and plug it into the effects send jack, then the other end plugs right back into the effects return jack. Tuck the loose part of the cord into the back of the amp so it doesn't touch the floor or anything. NOW lean the amp back. Does it still cut out? If so, the amp has an odd problem, but if not, then the effects or their cords are the problem
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nickfynn View Post
        Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look at more closely? DO tubes get weirded out by tilitng them backwards a bit?

Thanks in advance, Nick
        Yes... rare, but I have had a few problems with power tubes and their lousy screen connections in the tube envelope... tilt the amp one way or the other and the darn tube/amp would go back in failure mode.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Of course the tubes have no way of knowing if the effects loop is in use.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, they are close enough to the jacks to peak at what's going on...sneaky bastards ;-]

Comment

Working...
            X