No announcement yet.

ID tubes from 1968 Traynor YVM-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned long ago not to pay too much attention to "tube reviews" unless the reviewer was talking about the same amp I'm dealing with, and even then, it's hard to trust subjective perceptions. There are far too many other variables involved. I've seen tubes I liked in one circuit not sound that good in another. I mean, what is a "full range tube"? DC to gamma rays? :-)

People talk about Telefunken simply because they generally made excellent tubes, especially their 12AX7s. Their EL34s aren't that common. I've never seen one in person. A quick look on eBay shows that many of the "Telefunken" EL34s on there are the later Siemens skinny EL34s that often had Telefunken labels on them, but those are different tubes from different factories.

Partly because Telefunken 12AX7s are so good for Hi-Fi, the brand has high status among audiophiles.

At least New Sensor hasn't acquired the Telefunken name. Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
      Telefunken has been running as a US based company since around 2000, building repro microphones. According to wikipedia, they have "exclusive rights to manufacture a wide variety of professional audio products and vacuum tubes bearing the Telefunken Trade Mark, in over 27 countries" (Telefunken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
      They don't seem to be making any tubes right now, but are selling off their "private stock" of NOS tubes. When those are gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-labelling some modern tubes with their name.
      You can get NOS Telefunken EL34's from them for a paltry $400 per matched pair: TELEFUNKEN-ELEKTROAKUSTIK.COM | TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik™ - Vacuum Tubes
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
        I learned long ago not to pay too much attention to "tube reviews" unless the reviewer was talking about the same amp I'm dealing with, and even then, it's hard to trust subjective perceptions. There are far too many other variables involved. I've seen tubes I liked in one circuit not sound that good in another. I mean, what is a "full range tube"? DC to gamma rays? :-)

People talk about Telefunken simply because they generally made excellent tubes, especially their 12AX7s. Their EL34s aren't that common. I've never seen one in person. A quick look on eBay shows that many of the "Telefunken" EL34s on there are the later Siemens skinny EL34s that often had Telefunken labels on them, but those are different tubes from different factories.

Partly because Telefunken 12AX7s are so good for Hi-Fi, the brand has high status among audiophiles.

Yea, not that I'm putting stock in tube reviews, but I think it's a fairly accepted fact that Telefunken make good tubes for hifi purposes.. I have to assume because they're do a very good job at very clear, level sound.. And the Tesla seems to generally be accepted as more of a guitar player's tube.. The general consensus seems to be that they're fairly different sounding tubes.

Comment

Working...
        X