Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must find replacement power transformer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must find replacement power transformer!

I am trying to find a replacement power transformer for Kustom "The Defender" 50w 1x12 amp.

I can get one from the manufacturer for $80 but would prefer to find a more readily available replacement if at all possible.

Made by a chinese manufacturer named NRE, the transformer is 120v, has 4 primary leads and 7 secondary leads.

A picture of the power transformer label can be found here

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Odd voltages on the secondary.
    Buy the original!
    You'll go nuts trying to find anything else.

Comment

I don't know the amp, but knowing the Peavey heritage of Mr Brown, I'd expect a low voltage circuit in there, so the 310VAC makes 430vDC B+, we have 6VAC for heaters, and the 12-0-12 ought to make +/-15v rails for any op amps or channel switching stuff.

$80 is not overly expensive, and really, what is more readily available than an exact drop-in?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm not sure it's wise to go into detail on this in an open forum, so all I'm going to say is this......"one shot thermal fuse". A clue for the OP.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I just don't wanna get an original cheap Chinese transformer and have it blow again. Can a thermal fuse be replaced or must/should the whole unit be replaced?

Comment

Seeing that there are two fuses in the transformer, I would say no.

Comment

Do we have information that this model amp has transformers failing a lot? Or do we only have this one?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Do we have information that this model amp has transformers failing a lot? Or do we only have this one?
                I've seen a couple in Kustoms. I don't recall if it was this model amp or transformer. That's why I posted as I did. Both were repaired without purchasing new transformers and neither have been back.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I have a reading of appr. 4.5 from measuring brown/black to white/blue. My original instructions said to measure the resistance of the primary leads to the chassis, which give me no reading. Therefore the transformer may not be the problem. Oviously I have checked all 4 fuses, tubes, power switch, power plug etc. I can't find the problem if it's not the transformer. I powered on for about 30 seconds, heard a small pop and lost all power. I just wanted to say the transformer may not be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoked View Post
                    I have a reading of appr. 4.5 from measuring brown/black to white/blue. My original instructions said to measure the resistance of the primary leads to the chassis, which give me no reading. Therefore the transformer may not be the problem. Oviously I have checked all 4 fuses, tubes, power switch, power plug etc. I can't find the problem if it's not the transformer. I powered on for about 30 seconds, heard a small pop and lost all power. I just wanted to say the transformer may not be the problem.
                    This report, coming along as post #9 in the thread, is confusing. Who gave you those "original instructions?"
                    Do you have the skills to troubleshoot the transformer itself? For example are any of the individual windings shorted to any of the other windings? If you put power to the primary do you get the proper voltage at each of the secondary windings? Isolate the problem and test the transformer by itself.
                    Please do some furhter troubleshooting and report back before buying a new PT. Ask more questions if needed.
                    Cheers,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X