No announcement yet.

Fender Bassman 100, dating and stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was the main amp I used during my gigging years. A reliable workhorse.

However when I first plugged in the tone was cold and strident ( why I got it cheap ).

I knew it was capable of much better performance.

Here's 3 things to bring this sleeper to life:

1) Bypass the "master volume". That 1 meg pot just sucked the life out of the pre-amp.

2) Disconnect the negative feedback. "Hi-Fi" may be good in stereo's not in guitar amps. JMO.

3)Install a half power switch. A little less headroom and quicker power tube saturation.

These 3 changes made a ho-hum tone dead amp turn into an inspiring sonic tool.

Comment

I realize this is WAY old... but, since it's been repeatedly necro'd, and since Sibo's still active..

Originally posted by sibo View Post
      ...but I really like it when the sound is cracking up a little bit like this other old Fender combo I tried. Sounds as if its really getting pushed although is doesn't overdrive (I think), I'd say it's the sweet spot! Anyone got suggestions on how to reach that cracking up part?
      I'm really surprised that no one thought to mention the Hick's Mender.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	833971
      I still have (what's now 'the original') one on an old '72 Super Six Reverb.
      I primarily bought it because I wanted channel switching. And this was a 'new' device the 15-20 odd years ago when I bought it, which evidently got discontinued, then reintroduced. Evidently the new one that David Hicks designed now has a variable gain feature.

Anyways, might consider throwing this in the mix as well Sibo!
      Mo' Toyz...Pimp My Vint, Toyz Garage, Tweed Tones, & Mo! -scroll down about halfway to see it.
      He does have mp3 sound clips too.

At any rate, I dug the fact that it was simplicity at it's finest mod-wise.
      Just pull the first two tubes, insert the Mender, install the tubes you pulled into the Mender. Voila! One clean channel, one dirty channel, add a basic footswitch and jam away!
      Last edited by Audiotexan; 07-30-2014, 12:25 PM. Reason: added pic
      Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
      X