\| H |/ brand Toroidal Transformer or equivalent wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• \| H |/ brand Toroidal Transformer or equivalent wanted

Hello I am trying to find a supplier of this toroidal transformer "H" brand not hammond.

It runs on 230 volts mains and has a 32v CT supply @ 0.5A and a 10 volt tapping at 2 amps.

It belongs to a Azur 640c V2 CD player made by Cambridge Audio in the UK.

They have no email and recommend contacting the local distributors which I have done twice
    with absolutely no response.
    I have contacted Richer Sounds plc who are part of the same stable of companies and they refer
    me back to Cambridge Audio... duh !

In the meantime while I try to track down someone who takes some pride and responsibility
    for maintaining these "hi end" products I am hoping some one may know who the manufacturer
    of the transformer is or availability of a suitable replacement.

I've even tried Google image search with the "H" logo to no avail.

I am considering mounting two transformers for it even if I have to build an external box
    and run the secondary's into the player.

I'm attaching the label from the shorted transformer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24179 24177[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oc disorder; 07-10-2013, 06:14 AM.

Where was the unit actually made? China maybe? Taiwan? Korea? I would wager the transformer was made in the same country. Good chance the transformer is custom anyway, so the tranny factory may not have them to sell you. I could be wrong. In repairing consumer goods in the past, I have encountered parts that were not imported into the USA. Seems to me some Samick mixer had a VU meter IC that was not obtainable.

Did we contact any of the US dealers to see if they could source it or tell you where they might find one? There are a lot of them.

Dealers » Cambridge Audio

Meanwhile, it is just a CD player, regardless of how upscale it might be. The demands on a transformer by a cheap bargain CD player ought not be very different from those of your fancy one. 32vCT to make +/-15v for the audio, and 10vAC to make supplies for the motors. So look at some dead consumer decks and see if the transformers in them might not work. When I get a CD player (or cassette deck or whatever) that is not going to get repaired, I strip it for whatever is useful. Plus the joy of just tearing something down to its screws. I always save the power transformers for just this sort of situation. Maybe a nice Tascam deck can be sacrificed.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo for the reply.
      I'm not really sure where it's made.The fact they have "Designed by Cambridge Audio London England" and on the back "Manufactured in an ISO9002 approved facility" makes me wonder if they know themselves!!!
      I suspect they want to keep it quiet or they hadn't decided on the manufacturer when they designed the stencils for the back panel !

Thanks for the suggestion re the US agents.. I'll probably ring up from the convict colony to the
      mother country and see if they understand Australian first !

As far as I can see there are no smd components inside.
      Texas NE5532 chips ,ST regulators and umm Chinese capacitors Xunda, LH Nova and Acon.
      For what its worth the board reminds me of Behringer , the blueish green pcb and the print font used.

I'm not going to undo the shiny brassy/gold looking shield to reveal the Dacs but this guy seems to
      have no qualms in connecting a tube to the output ....

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ALmpizator

To save reinventing the wheel I'll post one of his pictures of the insides

I suppose these days one has to use social media to try to embarrass whoever to do the right thing !
      Won't be long before Facebook, Twitter etc become embroiled in litigation judging by what I see on there.

Just read a bit on Mr Lampizar site , apparently its the Wolfson DAC that makes it !!!

Here's what he says :-

"Upon inspection under the hood, Azur 640 from Cambridge (400 Euro) is still a fantastic piece of engineering. It shines and glitters, and in fact it shines GOLD. The PCB design culture is one of the best there is. The mechanism is a cheap one, but works OK. The whole player is slim, light and simple, but it is build by people who know and love their job. I love what I see. Namely - simple design, regulators close to power consumers, good star grounding , few opamps in output stage, good parts etc. And most of all - the Wolfsons."

It must have been made in China but looks a lot better than the usual I see .
      I guess Cambridge gave them a reasonable budget ......Thanks again O.C.

EDIT: Just found Bannsan printed on one of the PCB's

http://www.bannsan.com/file/en-about.htm

So the boards at least are made in Bannsan Land !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by oc disorder; 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Oh, I forgot you were down under, I just looked at US support. perhaps there is some Aussie support?

They'd crow MADE in the UK if it were, so they say Designed to try to get some patriotic response, but that is usually a giveaway that it was made in the orient. Usually some fine print on the rear states country of origin.

China is not generic, they can make anything you want, it is up to you as a manufacturer to decide what you will accept. Sure China turns out cheap junk. But you want to bet against their military stuff not working? I sure wouldn't. And remember, the Chinese have a space program. They even have a small space station in orbit. And a billion cell phones that work and work and work. So they also turn out very good stuff.

Seriously. look into finding something equivalent sitting in a Pioneer or Teac something or other. The transformer is not in the signal path.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Oh, I forgot you were down under, I just looked at US support. perhaps there is some Aussie support?
          That's the first thing I did "contacting the local distributors which I have done twice with absolutely no response."

And yes I'm not being pedantic about the transformer as long as it has the right voltages , can supply enough current
          and fits in the chassis I'll be happy ! 10volts at 2 amps makes it a little harder.
          I have some junked yamaha and sony cd players , Ill have to excavate them from under the house !

It does have a mains rocker switch on the back and a soft start switch on the front !
          The owner didn't realise about the rear switch so It's probably been on for years !
          It has the 16v supply fused (x 2) a internal mains fuse which blew but no thermal fuse in the toroid as far as I can see.
          The toridal transformer is shorted ..with the loads disconnected my series light bulb lights to full brilliance !

See my edit in my previous post .The PCB is made by Bannsan.

O.C.

Comment

Do you have shop supplies you could power the thing with? SOme transformers that would do the trick, even if they don't fit in it or anything?

Two reasons.

One is that when a transformer fails, I want to know why, and there may be some major circuit issue we cannot see due to the lack of power. We could expose those.

The other is that we can measure the current draw from each winding. That 2A might be way more than it requires. or it might be barely enough. They might use the same tranny on several models, and some may need more current than others. SO if we find that your deck never draws more than 600ma or whatever, it might make the search easier. Or not.

Comment

Well kindof shop supplies I have some old iron that I can rig up , I was going to do that before handing over my credit card !
              At the local tip or refuse dump they have a few for between 3 and 6 bucks.

Much to the family's dismay I often seem to return with more than I went there with !
              The other day I got a Sony camera cable really flexible with coax and other wires in it which I have a use for .. only cost 5 bucks... they used to cost hundreds !

I also have some stock of low voltage transformers that a retailer was selling as a clearance that I snapped up.
              There's no sign of a big short from my initial findings but it's highly likely .

Comment

Working...
              X