Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know where to source magnetic machined stainless steel screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know where to source magnetic machined stainless steel screws?

I figured I'd ask here because I'm sure one of you will have either tried/failed or tried & found some.

Problem: Most Stainless steel screws are made from a grade of steel that's totally non magnetic - so I seek machined screws (preferable metric M3/M4/M5) that are magnetic.

Can anyone help?

Hi Rob. have you tried giving Grampium fastners a call. 01224 772 777 I know they do machine screws in different grades and chrome content so you may be lucky with them. Steve.

Comment

There are many, many types of stainless steel. Most of the nonmagentic stainless steels are part of the 300 series, which in addition to being the most common type of stainless steel, is also corrosion resistant. The 400 series of stainless steel is magnetic, but unlike the 300 series materials, will rust. Therefore, I think you're better off just getting plated steel.

Comment

I agree with ReadyTeddy. Almost all stainless steel fasteners are made from 303, 304, or "18-8" (which is a looser category that includes 303 & 304). These are all non-magnetic. It may be possible to buy some screws made from a 400 series stainless, but 1.) they will be quite expensive, 2.) they will be less magnetic than mild steel, and 3.) they will rust. So, why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
          Hi Rob. have you tried giving Grampium fastners a call. 01224 772 777 I know they do machine screws in different grades and chrome content so you may be lucky with them. Steve.
          Hi Steve thanks...I'll follow that up...

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
          I agree with ReadyTeddy. Almost all stainless steel fasteners are made from 303, 304, or "18-8" (which is a looser category that includes 303 & 304). These are all non-magnetic. It may be possible to buy some screws made from a 400 series stainless, but 1.) they will be quite expensive, 2.) they will be less magnetic than mild steel, and 3.) they will rust. So, why bother?
          I was under the impression that stainless steel would be more corrosion resistant than mild steel (else as you say why bother? And that includes making them ...why bother?!).....I'm not exactly gonna be submersing the guitar in sea water!

Also plated steel screws aren't exactly easy to come by in a plethora of sizes (& I don't include zinc coated steel which looks dreadful & often are poorly made).

I've taken delivery of some 403 grade steel sheet here (for cutting up for pickup blades)...& the stuff is well magnetic & its finish look particularly erhm 'stainless'! (in that it might put up a bit of a fight against rust - these are door kick plate offcuts...so I'd imagine they'd have to be a bit rust resistant)

Comment

One note about zinc plated mild steel screws:

As you buy the screws, the zinc plating has a satin sheen; kind of a dull silver color. But if you hold the head up against a buffing wheel for a few seconds, it shines up nicely and looks a lot like chrome. And they will stay that way. The zinc plating is pretty tough, and doesn't tarnish or corrode. I've been using buffed-up zinc plated screws on my basses for about 15 years, and I haven't seen any yet that tarnished or needed to be rebuffed. You don't have to buff up the whole screw, just the head.

Comment

Just an idea: There are DIY nickel plating kits. Car restorer and such use them. And nickel plating looks so much warmer and nicer than chrome IMHO

Comment

Your average kitchen knives and forks and cooking utensiles are usually magnetic stainless. In and out of water a lot and often left wet on a draining board. Takes a lot to make them rust and that's usually down to the fact they have been polished. Scratch the surface and that can start the rust going but it all takes a lot of time. Good source of raw material there if your round any boot sales Rob but I guessed with what you make you were looking at tonal properties and differences so go with what you can obtain. Iv'e got most of the Gateros kits for plating and treated right they can produce a good finish but stay away from bright nickel and stick with just nickel as bright nickel does have a flaking problem. That's my trick Bruce polishing zinc heads. Works well don't it. You could also look up South Essex Fastners Rob in Southend and Colchester as if others haven't got it they will find it for you. Bulk prices are way way down.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys - nice tip about polishing up zinc (cos unpolished they look woeful)

I did buy a gateros nickel plating kit (bright - doh!)...I never used it, & just sold it on. Alas, I just don't have the facilities - or time - to be dealing with plating stuff (young kids about etc)

Comment

I'm not exactly gonna be submersing the guitar in sea water!
                    Human sweat is worse than seawater
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      Human sweat is worse than seawater
                      It's diluted urine. Tears are closer to sea water.

One thing to consider with SS pole screws. If you are just getting them because they are rust resistant, keep in mind that they will sound different from mild steel.

You might like the difference, and you might not. I used magnetic stainless blades in some pickups, and for that design, I didn't care for it, it was too edgy sounding. But that could be just what you need for another pickup.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X