Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low signal at power tube input grids (Marshall TSL JCM200)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low signal at power tube input grids (Marshall TSL JCM200)

Hi,

My friend brought me his JCM2000 TSL that was sounding weak, but otherwise fine. Sure enough it was only putting out 35W. I tried new power tubes (his were 7 years old), but only yielded a few more watts.

I've searched for common problems in these amps (and there seems to be a lot), but so far none of the usual suspects (i.e. shorted ceramic 'anti-oscillation' cap at the power tubes, fried speaker jack, dead OT, etc.). There are no burnt components and I have re-soldered some suspect joints with no improvement.

I just noticed that I get a good normal amount of drive from the PI, but the AC signal voltage at the power tube grids is low, like 1/5th of what's coming out of the PI. It definitely explains the low output, but I don't know what would cause this symptom. Any ideas? I've attached the schematic. This amp is so over complicated with all the connectors, it's hard to trouble-shoot.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex
    Attached Files

OK, you are going to hate me if I am right, but look over by the power switches. The four little push buttons there. The two next to the knobs are deep boosts, the one by the power switch is a mute, and the one next to it is a half volume switch. ANy chance that one is pushed in?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hate you? I love you! So hilarious.

So that's what those 680K resistors are for! I see now that they form a voltage divider with the 220K grid bias resistors like a fixed PPIMV.

Thanks a million, Enzo.

Comment

Enzo is sharp, I'll give him that
        Virtual Power Reduction.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X