Describe scooped mids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describe scooped mids

I kinda got a basic idea, but can anyone describe what scooped mids are and what the middle frequencies do when they are scooped. What does it sound like? ...if it is possible to describe.

I'm a little unclear of what it actually is and what it sounds like...eventhough I'm sure that i've heard them or scooped some myself at some point in time.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

to me, scooped mid are ultra tight lows, huge lowmids, and a articulate as hell top end. everything else is jumped up but the mids. I refer to them as smooth mids, not scooped. I sell a pickup that peels paint of walls, has a supper sergical lowend, fat lowmids ( I love em') and the highend just is jawdroping, but not shrill. If I wind a hot version, it usually hits around 18,5k

Comment

Kevin, just turn the mid control off on your amp and listen to the guitar. You get top and bottom and a notchy tone in the middle. Real popular on bass with slappers.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I love your simple way of things Schwab

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Kevin, just turn the mid control off on your amp and listen to the guitar. You get top and bottom and a notchy tone in the middle. Real popular on bass with slappers.
          If you believe Duncan's Tone Stack Simulator, many amps start out with mildly scooped midrange. It's all a question of degree.

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html

-drh
          He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

What gets called scooped mids is an EQ/filtering thing. If you're posting in this sub-forum, you may be barking up the wrong tree. My sense is that aiming for it in a wind is just plain nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
              What gets called scooped mids is an EQ/filtering thing. If you're posting in this sub-forum, you may be barking up the wrong tree. My sense is that aiming for it in a wind is just plain nuts.
              I agree

Comment

i just see it a lot in descriptions of pickups from many pickup makers.

I'm just trying get an idea what it sounds like....or what to look for when i'm listing to a pickup.

Comment

You can get that in a wind.....seriously. My Amp is prodominately set at Bass-10,mids-6,treb-7,presence 3. Stock Marshall 800 '83 strait in.

Comment

and an sd-1 overdrive

Comment

i found a definition

stupid me...did a quick search and found a definition for "scooped mids" at Sweetwater.com....Very clear to me now.

Scooped Mids
                      This is a general description of the guitar tone most typically associated with heavy metal rock. Generally there is plenty of low and high end, but the midrange is cut or "scooped," often rather sharply, either using onboard amplifier tone controls or by using an external equalizer. Several manufacturers offer pedals that include both distortion effects and scooped mids.

Comment

Wouldn't a good PAF tone be scooped mids?

I'm just as mids tone deaf as helen keller its a wonder I can even wind a decent pickup

Comment

I'd think not, rather the opposite. 42 @ 8.4k is getting there on the bobbin space...rather full mids to me, but defined and tight.

Comment

See I told you i'm deef when it comes to mids

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrangelove View Post
                              If you believe Duncan's Tone Stack Simulator, many amps start out with mildly scooped midrange. It's all a question of degree.
                              Yeah, for a Fender style passive stack, the mid only cuts. You also loose a lot of gain. Newer style active tone controls don't do that. So it depends on what you are playing through.
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X