Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuzz Box schematic from Popular Electronics about 1967!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Box schematic from Popular Electronics about 1967!!

Back in 1967, I was an avid reader of Popular Electronics AND a fledgling rock and roll guitar player. I had built as "Fuzz Box" that was in an article and It was the BOMB. I could sustain a note for weeks with that thing and instead of being "fuzzy" it made notes sound "round"...that is the only way I can describe it. I actually built 5 or 6 for other guitar players because the sound was so great.
    I was wondering if anyone would know how to either find that article(I know Popular Electronics has changed a lot,,but I actually had a copy of the edition up until about 10 years ago when my second ex wife decided I didn't need any of my stuff anymore. It was a pretty simple circuit,,,a transistor preamp into another transistor causing the signal to clip at the output. Certain caps would change the amount and shape of the tones.

If anyone has any idea, it would be great.

Here are the scans for 1967.
    Popular Electronics 1967

Comment

Popular Electronics Magazine 1967 9 Issues | eBay
      Mid to Late 1960s Lot 14 Issues of "Popular Electronics" Magazines TV Radio | eBay

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the info but apparently it was not 1967 because the actual project was on the cover. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Try February of 1968, and there was a correction to the schematic a month or two later. I know that I still have that issue somewhere and can scan it if it isn't already out there on the interwebs.

Comment

There's one HERE down the page a bit. Is that the one your looking for?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

That's the one!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. Back then...1967, 1968,,,who knew!!!!!!

Comment

The change

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                Try February of 1968, and there was a correction to the schematic a month or two later. I know that I still have that issue somewhere and can scan it if it isn't already out there on the interwebs.
                The error was the way the bypass was shown in the schematic. The input signal was bypassed by the switch and in the schematic, it shows it as being wired to the junction of R4 and R2 when it should be connected to the input jack at C1 isn't it amazing that I remembered that! I am amazed , I was 15 at the time, that I still remember anything from then!!! Yeah I was one of them "hippies"!

Comment

ANy chance it was this one:

Popular Electronics, February 1968

I think I built that one myself.

Oh, I see you found it while I was busy.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well check out the April and May issues, a two parter building a guitar amp!!!
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      Well, believe it or not, I actually built it !!!!!!!!!!

Not in full; because it was modular, made out of many individual PCBs, so I built a lot of the Reverb modules as add ons for my friends' amps, and the "normal" preamp coupled to the Power Amp as a general purpose (Guitar/Bass/Keyboards/whatever) amplifier.

Nobody used the tremolo nor liked the Fuzz, so why build them?

But there was a market for a low cost 60W clean amp.

Edit: of course, I made the PCBs crudely, by transfering the hole pattern to the raw PCB surface, and using my Mother's nail enamel applied with the built in brush.

No 2 PCBs were alike
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        I remember building that SWTP MMM amp. Not a bad design, but really under powered for the day. Great tremolo, kinda like the Musicman trem.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHandy2013 View Post
                          Back in 1967, I was an avid reader of Popular Electronics AND a fledgling rock and roll guitar player. I had built as "Fuzz Box" that was in an article and It was the BOMB ...
                          Popular Electronics January 1967
                          Fuzzbox for under $3

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/caseyseffectpage/library/3%20Dollar%20Fuzz

Everyday Electronics’ December 1971
                          Simple fuzz box

http://electronicmusik.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/1972-fuzzbox-circuit-project-full-instructions/

Electronics Australia August 1967
                          Fuzz box for electric guitar

http://www.retrovox.com.au/ea0867fuzz.pdf
                          Last edited by vintagekiki; 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM.
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

Craig Anderton's speaker output sawtooth fuzz is cool.
                            (3 Dollar Fuzz Photos by caseyseffectpage | Photobucket)
                            Thanks Tiki.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

The Anthony Leo fuzz is actually very similar in some ways to the Mosrite Fuzz-Rite and Orpheum fuzzes. Take a look at those and any related forum posts for some ideas on how to optimize it.

Comment

Working...
                              X