Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring my counter

I got this off ebay:
    0 56" Red LED Digital Counter Meter Count Timer Timing Three Function DC12 24V | eBay

As far as a sensor, I bought a few reed switches and hall sensors, but now i'm reading an optical sensor would be the most accurate with the blank cd trick mounted on the shaft.

Any guidance would be helpful.
    I'm pretty versed in wiring guitars, but i'm pretty new to wiring everything outside of guitars without some beginner instructions.

Thank you

Any question in particular?
    That Counter Wiring, looks pretty self explanatory.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Any question in particular?
      That Counter Wiring, looks pretty self explanatory.
      I'm just starting out, I know a little about reading schematics but not much.
      If i'm just going to try a reed switch with it at first to see how it goes, one end of the reed switch would go to the input and the other to?
      and I know I could wire a on/off switch to the reset pin, as far as the other 2 I need to wire in a 12v power supply to gnd and vcc right?
      What goes in the NC slot?

I bought some hall sensors too (before I read about optical and proximity) to try as well. Could you point me to a basic circuit to wire one up?
      I've searched, but most of the circuits I find are a little too complicated for me to comprehend completely on my own.

I've modified amps and guitars before, but when I modified amps it was just a part list and it listed swap this resistor for this, etc.. Not a schematic per se.
      I do know how to tell if the schematic calls for a resistor or a cap, but not much more than that.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
        If i'm just going to try a reed switch with it at first to see how it goes, one end of the reed switch would go to the input and the other to?
        and I know I could wire a on/off switch to the reset pin, as far as the other 2 I need to wire in a 12v power supply to gnd and vcc right?
        What goes in the NC slot?

I bought some hall sensors too (before I read about optical and proximity) to try as well. Could you point me to a basic circuit to wire one up?
        I've searched, but most of the circuits I find are a little too complicated for me to comprehend completely on my own.

I've modified amps and guitars before, but when I modified amps it was just a part list and it listed swap this resistor for this, etc.. Not a schematic per se.
        I do know how to tell if the schematic calls for a resistor or a cap, but not much more than that.

Thank you
        The NC, should stand for No Connect, as in not used.
        I would think the reed would have input on one side and ground on the other.
        Everytime you ground the input, you would show a turn or revolution?
        Maybe someone will chime in here that has more experience on wiring counters.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
          I don't know much about reading schematics either, so I made my life easy when I build my first mechanical winder and bought a Redington dry contact counter similar to this one (if I remember correctly).

Redington Counters, Inc. - 6300-0500-0000 - Dry Contact Counter

You just hookup the reed switch across the 2 contacts indicated no the instruction sheet. Nothing else to do or worry about. They claim a 15+ year battery life, so not much chance you are going to need to worry about a new one for a few thousand sets of pickups.

My advice, as one newbie winder to another, make your life easy, not difficult. Do and use things that are easy to understand and within your current skill set on your first winder build and then work your way up as you learn. There is nothing like the "KISS" principle to help you through things!
          Last edited by kayakerca; 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling. . . the regular stuff.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Pin 2 is apparently your INPUT where you hook your switch or whatever you intend to use.

The pictures here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	829750Click image for larger version

Name:	d2.jpg
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	829749Click image for larger version

Name:	d3.jpg
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	829747Click image for larger version

Name:	d4.jpg
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	829748

shows hooking up the RESET function in different ways but it says Pin-2 works the same way.

Which is weird, because the description/spec above it says Pin-2's input is a pulse between 3-30V so how the shunt/grounding schema in the pics works seems ambiguous.

One thing the description/spec doesn't say is it's MAX RATE/SPEED for counting, but I imagine it should be fine for this purpose.

That is a cool/cheap/inexpensive counter great find!
            Last edited by RedHouse; 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Yeah but....
              The count is valid when Pin #2 goes HIGH.
              That is what Pin #5 is, 12-24 Vdc.
              Pin #1 & 2 should be labeled 'source pins'. (not sink/ ie: to ground)
              So hook up one end of the reed switch to pin 2 & the other end to pin 5 and a closure of the switch will be a valid count.
              If you want to reset the count you can use a momentary contact push button switch between pin #1 & pin #5.

Comment

Working...
              X