Gettin started (lookin into winders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin started (lookin into winders)

I have been scouring forums, google, youtube, etc. for information on all things pickup winding. I have a lot of info that I am in the process of absorbing. Lots of really cool stuff out there!
    Thought I would toss up some ideas and get some feedback...

I really like the idea of a lathe winder. I went to Harbor Freight to check out this one for $130.
    I found this while wandering around the store and found this grinder. $40, speed control, seems like it could work and can't argue with the price!
    Also found a couple electric bobbin winders like this one and this one. Pretty pricey though. I like the lathe concept. I should be able to build something pretty similar though for much less.
    I already have a couple sewing machines so I am looking to build a lathe winder similar to those electric bobbin winders.

Since I also need a counter I started searching for diy counters, counter circuits, etc. and found this little counter circuit. Simple enough, I'm technically inclined and handy with a soldering iron and only a few bucks for parts from Mouser. Anybody have any experience with this circuit?

Need a recommendation for a sensor. What are you guys using? As far as I can tell Proximity Hall Effect sensors are quite popular.

Thoughts, feedback, tips?

Lucas

$40 grinder with speed control

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17084.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	829727

Comment

counter circuit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Counter-UD1.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	829728

Comment

recommendations for a counter sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24351[/ATTACH]
          The grinder is a neat looking gadget.
          Wouldn't mind having one to grind with.
          Don't know how it works on the slow end, but 10,000 RPMs is excessive for winding.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Don't know how it works on the slow end, but 10,000 RPMs is excessive for winding.
            T
            i was going to use one for the same purpose, but it does not start at 0, more like 3000-1000.
            You would need a router speed control with it. and because of its small size, i would think it would be more prone to some wobbling unless you secured it really well.
            I still picked it up anyways cause it was $30 with a coupon.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              T
              10k is a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
                i was going to use one for the same purpose, but it does not start at 0, more like 3000-1000.
                You would need a router speed control with it. and because of its small size, i would think it would be more prone to some wobbling unless you secured it really well.
                I still picked it up anyways cause it was $30 with a coupon.
                good to know.

Comment

10k is a bit much.
                  u could still use a router speed control to bring the speed down.
                  they are $20 at harbor freight.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
                    u could still use a router speed control to bring the speed down.
                    they are $20 at harbor freight.
                    true, but you also bring up a good point about it being prone to wobbling.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24351[/ATTACH]
                      $18 dollar drill with 0-3,000 speed control. IMO a much better choice as a power source. The grinder you're considering wouldn't have enough power at low RPM.

3/8'' Variable Speed Reversible Drill

I just saw this LCD Punch Counter Digital 5 Including Proximity Switch Strong Magnetic K12 | eBay counter in another thread. Between that and the drill you would be about set.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                        $18 dollar drill with 0-3,000 speed control. IMO a much better choice as a power source. The grinder you're considering wouldn't have enough power at low RPM.

I just saw this LCD Punch Counter Digital 5 Including Proximity Switch Strong Magnetic K12 | eBay counter in another thread. Between that and the drill you would be about set.
                        Sewing machine motor with foot pedal is a pretty good choice, too. I stripped mine from a beat up sewing machine I found at the Goodwill Thrift store, for $15. All I needed in the end was the motor, belt, foot pedal and plug from the machine. Don't even know how the rest of it works, don't care if it ever did or does again. It's out in the shed.
                        “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd73069 View Post
                          Sewing machine motor with foot pedal is a pretty good choice, too. I stripped mine from a beat up sewing machine I found at the Goodwill Thrift store, for $15. All I needed in the end was the motor, belt, foot pedal and plug from the machine. Don't even know how the rest of it works, don't care if it ever did or does again. It's out in the shed.
                          I have a couple sewing machines I picked up a while ago for this project. I just saw someone use the lathe from Harbor Freight and that really interested me. So I stopped by a local store to check it out and saw the grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post

I am definitely considering the counter/sensor (thanks tommyd73069!). The price is definitely right and everything is included. In planning stages right now but keeping an eye out for deals.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyd73069 View Post
                              Sewing machine motor with foot pedal is a pretty good choice....
                              I agree. Lucas was considering lathes, and grinders to make a winder. I suggested the drill as a much more logical tool to re-purpose.

I have a couple sewing machines I picked up a while ago for this project. I just saw someone use the lathe from Harbor Freight and that really interested me. So I stopped by a local store to check it out and saw the grinder.
                              I like sewing machine motor's. They're cheap, quiet, powerful, and reliable.

I am definitely considering the counter/sensor (thanks tommyd73069!). The price is definitely right and everything is included. In planning stages right now but keeping an eye out for deals.
                              I ordered one of those last night. For $13, and free shipping, I had to check it out. You might not want to wait around. There were only a few left.

Comment

Working...
                              X