Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Markley UltraSound 200

Hey all,

As well as being an amp tech, I play in a band. At our last gig, one of the guitarists turned his amp on (the Dean Markley noted above in the title) and a loud pop came out of the speaker. We realized that the mains fuse was blown so we replaced it but the same thing happened. We set the amp aside and he used a spare he had brought with him.

I took the amp home with me and opened it up. It uses six LM3886's, all of them soldered directly to the main circuit board. On almost all of them, the circuit board is toasted where the 3886 is soldered....not just browned but charred. This is an expensive amp (I think he paid over $1200 for it a few years ago). Unfortunately, Dean Markley no longer has replacement circuit boards and it seems a shame to scrap the amp because of the charred PCB. I've thought of buying a bunch of these: Amazon.com: Lm3886 Amplifier Pcb: Electronics and see if I can cob something together using short jumpers. What I was thinking I would do is cut out the charred circuits (they are on the back edge of the main PCB) and attach the tab of the 3886 to the heatsink just above where it was previously attached and run jumpers from the main board up to the appropriate part of the circuit on the small PCB that the new 3886 is soldered to.

What are your thoughts on this gents and droids? Doable? Don't waste my time? Have him try and sell the amp "as is"?

Can you post a picture of this on here? It would help to see the damage, without any cleaning. Then clean it up a bit and snap a pic of that too. Are the traces all jacked up now? How bad is it really? Sounds like it was pretty bad! Also, if you really like a piece of gear and want to spend the time then it is worth it always, as long as you end up with a working amp.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Yes^^^

To the eye, soot from dead 3886s can look very dramatic, but often it cleans right up. I use a Qtip and alcohol to get the most of it off. Then we can see the true damage.

You might also contact Dean Markley directly and ask about service. They may have options that you do not. They may not have boards to sell, but that doesn't mean they don't have them in the service department. I know I have parts I won't sell, because I am holding them for repairs. Large TO3 MOSFETs for example.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X