Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem with Studiologic SL-990 Pro (keys transposed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with Studiologic SL-990 Pro (keys transposed)

Hi there,

I hope there's anyone out there with experience using the Studiologic SL-990 *Pro* version. According to the manual, it does not support
    transpose, nor midi-zones, while the unit I just bought second handed seems to have both

When I use MIDI-OX to show the midi signals sent to my hooked up laptop, I see that my keyboard seems to be set to 2 zones, where switch happens between E3 and F3.

For the lower zone, it looks like the notes have been transposed 1.5 note upward (playing C1, shows Eb1 in MIDI-ox), while the upper zone seems to have been transposed downward: e.g. playing key F3, sends out midi signal C3.

Could it be that the motherboard in this unit is the same as the motherboard in the XP version (which seems to support transposing all right), but maybe the Pro just doesn't have the buttons for it. That was the side question..

Can anyone advise on how to fix this?
    I've considered a "reset to factory defaults" but nothing in the manual or on the web regarding that.

I've swapped 2 flat cables that connect the keyboard internally, to the motherboard, to try to detect if it's the flat cable: no change.

Anything else you can come up with? (apart from buying a new unit ).

thanks in advance
    Koen

Have you attempted to contact Studiologic? (Fatar) info@studiologic-music.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Have you attempted to contact Studiologic? (Fatar) info@studiologic-music.com
      Hi Jazz,

I actually did, but no reply yet.

After some more research online, and trying to investigate the main board etc
      I found a post on homerecording.com that pointed me a bit further in what I think
      is the right direction.
      In thread

Disassembling FATAR keyboard to clean - Help! - Page 20 - Home Recording forums

there's a slightly similar problem discussed in note #192 from
      cabinneighbor on 13-Mar-2013 where he shows some pin-layouts
      of the SL-990 pro mainboard, and he describes he has a problem, also from the F3 and onward.
      I think there's some sort of short-circuit going on on my main board, so I decided
      to contact Fatar again to see if they sell spare parts. Not sure they do business
      with individuals..

will update this case if a new main board solves my problem.

Comment

Are we certain the receiving unit is not configured in this way? The controller may be sending out note numbers and the receiving unit is interpreting them as groups?

Do you have some other MIDI keyboard? Plug a MIDI cord from OUT on the SL990 to IN on the other, and play the other with your SL990. No software, no laptop, just two keyboards linked. Are the same divisions present?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Are we certain the receiving unit is not configured in this way? The controller may be sending out note numbers and the receiving unit is interpreting them as groups?

Do you have some other MIDI keyboard? Plug a MIDI cord from OUT on the SL990 to IN on the other, and play the other with your SL990. No software, no laptop, just two keyboards linked. Are the same divisions present?
          I don't have another MIDI keyboard anymore. However I'm 99% certain it's not the receiving unit, as that is my laptop on which I freshly installed the midi-sport driver (as I'm using a Midisport 2x2 MIDI-to-USB converter) and MIDI-ox which is a piece of PC software that can show the raw midi signals sent; and it clearly shows the problem (pressing 2 different piano keys, shows the same midi tone sent. Ok, there *might* be a problem with the Midisport pc-driver, or with the midisport hardware itselt but a year ago I used it with a Yamaha Clavinova without a problem/mapping issue.

I actually inspected the main board of the studiologic and there seems to be some sticky stuff on it; I think the previous owner might have spilled something over or it's the tomatoes that were thrown at him

Comment

Also after further looking at that diagram/circuitry I mentioned in my post of 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM, I realized it's an
            area of exactly 8 keys that shows a problem; the design of the circuitry is such that the key presses on the keyboard
            are processed with rows and columns, and 1 column is worth 8 keyboard keys so to speak.. so possibly it's some
            sort of short-circuit electronically so the processor thinks I physically am playing say column "5" while in fact I was playing
            column 6.

So it made me more confident that it was an issue with the main board: I ordered a new main board, and that indeed resolved the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X