Resistor value in vintage Wha pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor value in vintage Wha pedals

The 1960-1970's wha pedals resistors look bigger what watt are they or what can I use 1/4 watt 1/2 watt ect thanks

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
    The 1960-1970's wha pedals resistors look bigger what watt are they or what can I use 1/4 watt 1/2 watt ect thanks
    Not much in there to draw current or heat up so ¼ or ½ watters will work just fine for repair or build from scratch.

There are those who will insist carbon comp only. Who knows, may be somethin' to it. Also resistors made on alternate Thursdays, odd number dates, in months with (or without) an R in them, in leap years, by beautiful young women under atmosphere controlled conditions and blessed by (choice of name here.)

Last couple of years the size of many new resistors has shrunk. There are new 2W R's the size of old ¼W, and a ¼W new about the size of a deer tick. Any of 'em will work and avoid the deer ticks.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Wha Resistor values

I noticed that all the 470K resistors are 460 Meg and Not 470K I bet that is one reason its so shrill...

Comment

I noticed that all the 470K resistors are 460 Meg and Not 470K I bet that is one reason its so shrill...
        I don't think that I've ever seen 470 meg resistors. What sort of pedal are you working on?

All of the old pedals used 1/2 watt resistors. This was probably a simple cost thing, as 1/2 watters were cheaper than 1/4 watters back in the day.

Comment

Whaaaaat? 978 times the value they should be? HOW in the wide world of sports did you measure THAT? Pretty close to an open circuit - yes that would upset the tonal applecart. And you could have replaced them in less time than it took to type this.

52 Bill, I have seen super high value resistors in super high voltage power supplies (200 kV) BUT they don't look anything like ordinary resistors and would't fit in a wah pedal.

Something funny going on here.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Missed the decimal point did we?
            .460 meg.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              Missed the decimal point did we?
              .460 meg.
              ...I just ordered 2 new 470KCC to put in....I wonder why they changed the 2 resistors to that They also drilled a hole on the side to put a9 volt power jack in. at least the board is now clean...

Comment

You have not specified who "They" is.
                What model Wah are you working on?

Comment

1978 Thomas Bros Cry Baby Wha

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  You have not specified who "They" is.
                  What model Wah are you working on?
                  I bought this on ebay..It looked like it was really kicked around,but the board looked ok in the pictures,It looked like someone had "tried" to do some mods on it...but didn't finish..I cleaned it up change out the candy cane caps.and changed the 33k to a 57k...Thats when I noticed the the 2 470k resistors were not CC but carbon film and were 470M ohm...

Comment

Working...
                  X