• Show
Clear All

Agree.
    Read my own post #24

Good luck to you all guys.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Agree. Read my own post #24 Good luck to you all guys.
      And mine, # 16. See ya on the cover of Guitar Holder, Mr Velten. too. That's a THUMB's up. Good luck!' sssalll I gottasayboudit.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        And mine, # 16. See ya on the cover of Guitar Holder, Mr Velten. too. That's a THUMB's up. Good luck!' sssalll I gottasayboudit.
        If you are going to use a cheap SS amp, one option is to just run it clean and use pedals. Or.. Use a zoom or other emulator type system.

Comment

FWIW "Elvis left the building" on
          08-07-2013 03:57
          so any later contribution is wasted

No reason to fight over it (or anything else, by the way )
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Was starting to get the notion our OP is "having us on."

It was getting preposterous. Someone had to poke a pin at that balloon.

Gave it 2 days after defaced's comment to see what develops. "crickets" - nothin'. I'm not upset with ya defaced, nor anyone. All the 'regulars' here are good folks & valuable contributors. Every now and then someone shows up and, re read first line.

Our time IS valuable. When I detect someone's out to waste it I may call 'em on it in some way or another. Remember what I used to do for a living. Had enough of that. Have a good weekend everybody! Peace, out.
            Leo_gnardo, you seem to have hit the nail right in the head.

Just googled a little.

FWIW I found a certain " Alex Velten" on Twitter, https://twitter.com/Nihilistflakes
            there you can read some of his contributions to the World, which I quote verbatim:
            Alex Velten ‏@Nihilistflakes 9 Aug

I want everyone on this site to die an excruciatingly painful death. #FuckYou #FuckThisWorld
            Alex Velten ‏@Nihilistflakes 9 Aug

Don't throw your garbage in wastebins, throw it on the floor.This planet is worthless, litter as much as possible. #FuckThisWorld
            Alex Velten ‏@Nihilistflakes 1 Jul

Memes are an instant indicator of mental retardation.If you use memes, I fucking hate you.
            Nothing too surprising, considering what was posted here, of course.

Note: are they the same guy?

You decide:

Twitter avatar:

MEF picture (from profile):
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Leo_gnardo, you seem to have hit the nail right in the head.

Just googled a little.

FWIW I found a certain " Alex Velten" on Twitter, https://twitter.com/Nihilistflakes
              there you can read some of his contributions to the World, which I quote verbatim:

Nothing too surprising, considering what was posted here, of course.

Note: are they the same guy?

You decide:

Twitter avatar:

MEF picture (from profile):
              If you look closely at the pictures, you see one is clearly the evil twin of the other
              perhaps our poster has an unclear image of his direction in life?

peace!
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

FWIW "Elvis left the building" on so any later contribution is wasted
                I'll be happy to 'waste' just one more minute.

and a hearty LOL to you Juan! Wish I could pick horses at the track like that. Good research & "reveal" too !

Guess we weren't amusing enough for the tee arr oh ell ell. GOOD!

Three of 'em I count so far this year, the googan, mongo moon maiden & now this one. They DO show up from time to time.

ON to better things!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  Was starting to get the notion our OP is "having us on."

It was getting preposterous. Someone had to poke a pin at that balloon.

Gave it 2 days after defaced's comment to see what develops. "crickets" - nothin'. I'm not upset with ya defaced, nor anyone. All the 'regulars' here are good folks & valuable contributors. Every now and then someone shows up and, re read first line.

Our time IS valuable. When I detect someone's out to waste it I may call 'em on it in some way or another. Remember what I used to do for a living. Had enough of that. Have a good weekend everybody! Peace, out.
                  If you have nothing against me, then don't quote my posts and post something unproductive that comes off as a snide remark. I still have yet to find any humor in what you posted. You sound like you're making fun of the genre of music the guy likes because they don't tune to E. News flash - most metal produced in the past 20 years isn't tuned to E. It's pretty standard for the genre. Surprisingly enough, my time is valuable too, so keep your unfunny, condescending remarks to yourself, because I really don't have time for them.

As for the OP "having us on", then don't reply. It's pretty simple. I believe in the vernacular the phrase is "don't feed the troll". The gent seems like he was asking a pretty legitimate question and following up with legitimate replies. Not really sure what part of that indicated to anyone that he was having us on. Dude even replies with video of him playing his amp. But somehow the dude's not serious and is fooling with us. Ok...?

If you want to see if someone is taking the piss, give them a tickle of a real answer and see if they follow up on it and report back.
                  -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                    If you have nothing against me, then don't quote my posts and post something unproductive that comes off as a snide remark. I still have yet to find any humor in what you posted. You sound like you're making fun of the genre of music the guy likes because they don't tune to E. News flash - most metal produced in the past 20 years isn't tuned to E. It's pretty standard for the genre. Surprisingly enough, my time is valuable too, so keep your unfunny, condescending remarks to yourself, because I really don't have time for them.

As for the OP "having us on", then don't reply. It's pretty simple. I believe in the vernacular the phrase is "don't feed the troll". The gent seems like he was asking a pretty legitimate question and following up with legitimate replies. Not really sure what part of that indicated to anyone that he was having us on. Dude even replies with video of him playing his amp. But somehow the dude's not serious and is fooling with us. Ok...?

If you want to see if someone is taking the piss, give them a tickle of a real answer and see if they follow up on it and report back.
                    I'll stand behind my advice which should be taken seriously. Dare to be different. The only successful artist I can recall who has made a living on cover tunes is Linda Ronstadt. Heckuva singer! (Also producer, with David Lindley that I'm aware of. Maybe others.) but she's not "metal." Comfortably retired more or less, on the big pile of money she earned. Good for her!

ALSO get some of my best metal tones with untuned, not just detuned, instruments. Oh goshers I'm not a rock star, so take the advice or don't. Also perfectly aware that de-tuning is the order of the day.

DID give serious replies THEN after I detected a BS'er, gave it 2 days, no further comments, and the provocateur (who designed his original post to appear guileless) skulked off to happier hunting grounds.

Snark is in the eye / ear of the beholder. For an apparent fan of the metal genre I'm finding you to be uncharacteristically sensitive. Most would say "If he don't like it, %$#@ him!" and move on. And if you don't like somethin' also don't feel you have to reply.

STILL not mad at you defaced. Just bemused, c-mused, c#-mused, and ... please lighten up buddy, check yourself out. It's not worth raising your blood pressure over. If you could "step outside your mind" for a minute and look back on all this you'd see it for the tempest in a teapot that it is. I reply because I care. Even if your posts puzzle & dismay me - it's momentary. I'm over it. If you need help or advice I'd be glad to give it. And I hope vice versa.

Put "head shaking back and forth in dismay" smiley thing here. will have to do. Bust a tee arr oh ell ell, catch hell for it. Can't please everybody.

I'm sure AV (if that's his real name) is getting a LOT of amusement checking back on the results of what he started. Aren't you, Sandy you nihilist you?

I for one have had enough of the post mortem on this thread. Let's let it sink beneath the waves, where it belongs. With AV.

Comment

Unfortunately, without context, there aren't many other conclusions left to draw from your "dare to be different reply". If you had provided some back story, like the many other stories in this thread, your intent would have been perfectly clear.

Regardless, have a good day and no hard feelings. As quickly as I can say ^$&% you is as quickly as I can walk away from it. Drop C# mused, though after getting into Sylosis, I come back to E more regularly. Whoda thunk that a stock Gibby, a 808 and a JCM800 could sound so damn heavy.
                      -Mike

Comment

If we stop hitting each other, the fight ends. I don't care who stops first.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This post is not meant to be derogatory at all. Just a point- that's all.

Let's not forget that probably the most important part of tone comes from the fingers. I get so many players in my shop saying "I want to sound like so and so". They'll even go so far as to buy the exact setup as "so and so" and wonder why they don't sound like "so and so". There's much more involved here than a box of tubes or transistors i.e., picking technique, fingering, muting, pinch harmonics, etc. etc.

Conversely, I know guys that can make the crappiest amps sound wonderful. I went to see a band a while back and the guitar player had unbelievable tone. On break, I asked him what he was playing through. He said, "you won't believe it if I tell you", and took me behind the P.A to show me. He was playing through a 15W solid state Traynor amp with an 8" speaker (the cheapies you get with a beginner's guitar) face down covered with packing blankets with an SM58 thrown underneath.

My point is this. It's as much about the player as it is the rig.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

FWIW what you hear is a 15W Squire (8" speaker) , sitting backstage on a road case, miked with an SM58 stuck against the cone.
                            The Marshall heads are off, just used as props.

Guitar player is our Friend "onebaldbloke" at SS Guitar Forum.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X