Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
    That are, as assembled pickups.
    Would be nice if you guys who have the "good stuff" would feel like selling some to "other/small/non-PAF" pickup winders (yes, like me) something like a set "once-in-a-while, for personal use only".
    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
      I just logged in and find myself the same, no discount, wonder when that happened?
      (and why?)
      Oops, spoke too soon, I'm getting the discount. Must have been a cached webpage I was looking at or something weird.

I made a small order and got the right prices.

BTW, I emailed Mojotone and they responded immediately, and explained I was indeed getting the discount, thank you for the fast response Andrew.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
        Oops, spoke too soon, I'm getting the discount. Must have been a cached webpage I was looking at or something weird.

I made a small order and got the right prices.

BTW, I emailed Mojotone and they responded immediately, and explained I was indeed getting the discount, thank you for the fast response Andrew.
        I believe you'll find that's only on some products and only temporarily. Try 6 hole Strat .187" flatwork in black. I think you'll find dealer and non-dealer pricing is the same.

I've been back and forth a bit with David Shepherd on this over the past couple days and he indicated they are moving through, category by category, changing their pricing model. I think the only place I could see where a dealer (winder anyway) gets hurt is when they want to try some small volume level of new parts to try new stuff out with. You are still a dealer, but are forced to pay full consumer one-off pricing. Aside from that, the high volume purchase prices will probably be competitive with the market.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
          I believe you'll find that's only on some products and only temporarily. Try 6 hole Strat .187" flatwork in black. I think you'll find dealer and non-dealer pricing is the same.

I've been back and forth a bit with David Shepherd on this over the past couple days and he indicated they are moving through, category by category, changing their pricing model. I think the only place I could see where a dealer (winder anyway) gets hurt is when they want to try some small volume level of new parts to try new stuff out with. You are still a dealer, but are forced to pay full consumer one-off pricing. Aside from that, the high volume purchase prices will probably be competitive with the market.
          seems to be true. their price used to be about half that on the Strat .187 flatwork.

cheers,
          Jack Briggs

sigpic
          www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I sell Telecaster baseplates to one pickup maker and may put them on my website. But with more than 300 pickup makers out there, having your own parts to your own spec., is one way to help distiguish yourself from the rest of the pack. Even if you make your own parts, you are still at the mercy of price changes. Factor in that Mojotone makes pickups, I think they really are just offering the parts they use for their own products to the small maker to offset their own production and overhead cost at this point. I think the small maker should be happy to have Mojotone as a resource. If they charge more and it is cutting into your profit margin, raise your prices.
            They don't make them like they used to... We do.
            www.throbak.com
            Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Holy necro-post!

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                Even if you make your own parts, you are still at the mercy of price changes. Factor in that Mojotone makes pickups, I think they really are just offering the parts they use for their own products to the small maker to offset their own production and overhead cost at this point. I think the small maker should be happy to have Mojotone as a resource. If they charge more and it is cutting into your profit margin, raise your prices.
                Totally agree. Just like the small maker can buy from any supplier where they feel their quality/price parameters are satisfied, the seller can price on a basis that works for their profit/volume model. Personally, I have a 45 watt laser on order (ya, the "it will arrive someday" Glowforge) so I can cut all my own flatwork. Gets my material cost of the flatwork down to ~ $0.60 per set (if memory serves) and I can cut one off's or low volume pieces without the penalty of low volume buying from suppliers. Now there is that laser cutter price to factor in, but that's another discussion for another day.
                Last edited by kayakerca; 06-03-2016, 01:29 PM.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

just finished install of my new 90w laser cutter. in my case I was forced into going this route by turn times from those who offer custom flatwork services. I really don't have the luxury to wait 4-6 weeks for flatwork on a custom 1-off for a customer - they will walk and go somewhere that has similar pricing but a 1-2 week turn time.

a plus is that I can offer cutting services to fill in down time, and that opens the door for keeping a part-time helper in hours

all the best,

R

Comment

Working...
                  X