Mojo ticked me off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojo ticked me off

Kinda ticked at Mojo right now. They shorted my last order of vintage style 49.2 base-plates by half, and lied to me about how many they'd received in their latest batch, claiming a reason they weren't able to fill my order fully.

So, I went to the source, for the non-American plates. The American plates don't quite fit my bobbins right.

2000 base-plates due to arrive in about 5 weeks.

I can beat Mojo's $3.79 price by a LOT, if anyone was interested.

Mojo haven't been too good to me either.
    I won't go into details but their deception set me on the road to hell that I'm still trying to find my way out of.
    I have no use for that kind of customer service and will not be going there again.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Mojo has lost my trust over the last few months, as well.

I used to use their humbucker covers as a basic (free to my pickup customers) model because I thought they looked decent and didn't color the sound more than I could work around in the pickup design.

Over the last few years Gibson USA has been putting out guitars with tighter neck pickup routes and over the last few months I've had too many calls/emails saying that the Mojo covers don't fit the cavity. Not just because of the flare out at the base (which I can grind off in a pinch), but also because of the corners being very square and wide. If a "PAF cover" doesn't fit a Gibson - what's the use?

These things happen. Maybe their dies were getting worn out or… whatever. I would have been glad to work with them, but they were not willing.

I've called no less than 4 times about this problem and each time I'm always told that it's the FIRST call they have EVER received about this problem. I was told to clamp the covers on tighter to my pickups when soldering them. BLAH! I have a jig made up just for that, with two acme threaded clamps which could crush the pickup with a few turns too many. I KNOW that's not the problem, nor is it a solution, and it wouldn't address the overly square corners anyway.

So the thing is, I know they are aware of the problem because I've called myself four times, and know two others who have also called with the same problem. At the end of each call, I ask them what I should do with the 100+ covers I'm sitting on, and scared to use outside of my shop where I can install them myself and assure a proper fit. "Someone will call you back this afternoon." is the response each time. NEVER did I receive a call back.

Anyone want 100+ 49.2mm covers of various finishes at my cost? If you are a luthier or repair shop, they would be fine in most cases. I just can't trust sending them out on a set of pickups across the world to find out later that they don't fit.

The service there has SUCKED for me about this. They left a big customer stranded and blew me off and lied to me. Bye bye, Mojo! You've outgrown your britches! Too big too soon and the quality of parts and service took a nosedive. At least they are a business model I know not to follow myself, as my own volume increases. Just another reason why I'm making everything I can myself, these days, and have more of the same in the works.
      Last edited by ReWind; 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

So Gibson got smart and figured out a simple way to frustrate all the aftermarket pickup makers. Mojo is just a middleman, they have no more control over the parts they sell than anyone else does. No surprise they aren't willing to invest in their own stamping set-up. I guess all we can do is bitch about it until someone takes pity on us and makes a new set of stamps that they will likely never recoup their investment on anyway.

Comment

Like I said, these things happen. I wasn't upset about the fit problem - that's circumstantial. It was the way Mojo handled it …or rather DIDN'T handle it, which was a problem.

I won't be lied to by someone I do business with.

I dropped AddictionFX over a year ago for lying to me repeatedly, and it was a blessing to walk away. It forced me to learn and invest in doing things myself, my way. I don't NEED to give anyone my business. I'd rather pay more or work harder and deal with people and companies whom I can trust and value.

Comment

Don't get me started on them always being out of butyrate bobbins... One of the only suppliers in the world and they can't order enough to have a constant stock. Lame.

Comment

Hi fellow pickup winders,

This is David Shepherd from Mojotone. I don't get many opportunities to post on this forum but I saw this thread and figured I should post. Please, If anyone has a serious issue or complaint, don't hesitate to contact me via email david@mojotone.com and I will investigate. I certainly don't ever want to see it get to the point where anyone feels like they have to express their frustrations on a public forum like this. It never solves anything especially when I don't know about it! I am very busy these days with our own production of pickups so I can't be available for sales phone calls or general questions, however I am always available when it comes to defects or misinformation about our products. For general sales questions about parts and availability please email sales@mojotone.com. I understand the occasional mistaken information or communication breakdown situation, but no one here at Mojotone would intentionally lie to a customer. If these situations ever happen I need to know about them so I can do everything within reason to make it right. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by zparts View Post
                Hi fellow pickup winders,

This is David Shepherd from Mojotone. I don't get many opportunities to post on this forum but I saw this thread and figured I should post. Please, If anyone has a serious issue or complaint, don't hesitate to contact me via email david@mojotone.com and I will investigate. I certainly don't ever want to see it get to the point where anyone feels like they have to express their frustrations on a public forum like this. It never solves anything especially when I don't know about it! I am very busy these days with our own production of pickups so I can't be available for sales phone calls or general questions, however I am always available when it comes to defects or misinformation about our products. For general sales questions about parts and availability please email sales@mojotone.com. I understand the occasional mistaken information or communication breakdown situation, but no one here at Mojotone would intentionally lie to a customer. If these situations ever happen I need to know about them so I can do everything within reason to make it right. Thanks guys!
                The point of the thread, is the guys don't feel like they are being listened to, when they call or email.
                I emailed recently about the higher priced PAF type keeper bar you sell as American made, being thinner than the magnet.
                I got the same answers the above got on their problems.
                I won't be buying any of these keepers anytime soon.
                So I think this is the perfect place to Air Problems with Mojo.
                Maybe Mojo will fix some of their problems.
                BTW, most of these guys make Pickups as a business, and they know what they are talking about!
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  The point of the thread, is the guys don't feel like they are being listened to, when they call or email.
                  I emailed recently about the higher priced PAF type keeper bar you sell as American made, being thinner than the magnet.
                  I won't be buying any of these keepers anytime soon.
                  I got the same answers the above got on their problems.
                  So I think this is the perfect place to Air Problems with Mojo.
                  Maybe Mojo will fix some of them.
                  BTW, most of these guys make Pickups as a business, and they know what they are talking about!
                  T
                  Hi Terry,

I understand and respect everyone who is doing this as a business which is exactly why Mojotone has tried so hard over the years to make these parts available for everyone to compete. We obviously can't do it all but I remember before Mojotone came along there wasn't much out there and a I was struggling to get parts too. I started working here, listened to others in the same situation, and I took it upon myself to invest and grow the industry. That was my vision from the start and continues to be today. Everyone deserves a chance without having to invest a serious amount of money on tooling, huge minimum quantities, and other such crippling costs if at all possible. I feel like we have eliminated many of these obstacles quite well and sometimes it isn't noticed but quite possibly even taken for granted sometimes. Unfortunately forums can become a public bashing place that reflects negatively or even wrong on me and the company I represent. So please always email me first and I will do what is in my control to clarify and solve any issues with these parts.
                  Last edited by zparts; 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

...I am very busy these days with our own production of pickups so I can't be available for sales phone calls or general questions...
                    Must be "the problem", mojo used to be in the pickup parts business, now with their own pickup production in full swing their letting the existing customer base down. Nice way to force/constrict the (pickup) market.

So then, who's next up on the "supplier list"? probably a good time to pick up the slack, much like mojo did when GJ went south.

...Unfortunately forums can become a public bashing place that reflects negatively or even wrong on me and the company I represent...
                    Public bashin only comes into play when people/customers are not getting proper customer service in the first place.

So how will the "email me" thing help people that are actually calling (taking their own time to call) and not getting taken care.

May I ask how emailing a guy who posts he "don't have much time because I'm busy with our own pickups" is going to be a solution?
                    (just asking, no offence intended)
                    Last edited by RedHouse; 08-27-2013, 02:48 AM.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

My main problems are parts being out of stock ,a month & a half ago there were quite a few parts out of stock...Backordered ...........wth
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        My main problems are parts being out of stock ,a month & a half ago there were quite a few parts out of stock...Backordered ...........wth
                        At present the 49.2mm baseplate has been out of stock for a while.
                        Almost half of the Pickup Kits are out of stock.
                        Same with some of the Popular Vacuum Tubes I go to buy.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          At present the 49.2mm baseplate has been out of stock for a while.
                          Almost half of the Pickup Kits are out of stock.
                          Same with some of the Popular Vacuum Tubes I go to buy.
                          I been waiting all summer for 49.2mm plates
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I had the direct opposite experience. I had an order were the spool of wire were smashed during transport and with about 100 loose ends the complete spool had to be trashed. Mojo listened and replaced the spool with express transportation and managed to get it through customs (something that rarely happens, not even for replacement part) without any added duties.

Just thought I'd let ya know that all isn't bad. I got all the other parts I ordered too...

Comment

Hi everyone,

You hit the nail on the head with being out of stock all the time and this is exactly what I was hoping to hear from you. There is no excuse for us to be out of "basic" parts and I am working towards making this better (again). I wish it would happen over night but it will take some time to even itself out with lead times and reorder points so please understand I am working on it. RedHouse, I don't mean to offend you or make you think I am unavailable. I want to help which is why I am here. I left Mojo for a while in 2010 and opened my repair shop full time again which has been my main gig for almost 20 years now. I was just recently asked to take back over again "part time" and try to fix these problems which I am happy to do and slightly overwhelmed. I am here 2 days a week so you can imagine how difficult it would be for me to be on the phone all the time. This is why I urge everyone to use our sales team here at Mojotone. There is no reason they can't answer your questions about these parts. I do need to know about defects or misinformation though! I want everyone here to succeed! Wolfe! Help me out here? I thought we worked this all out! Ok time to go before I get my head chopped off here Thanks for your support!

Comment

Working...
                              X