Blonde Bassman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blonde Bassman

Dang, why'd they ever change this circuit, it sounds sooooooo damn good.

Got an oddball, no problems with it- Tuned it up, re-capped and it sounds awesome.
    It's tube rectified, but the power supply is more like the last version that was diode rectified.
    The power trans was replaced with a period correct one, most likely a long time ago, and it has a second smaller power tranny just for the 5v supply needed for the rectifier tube.

By the look of it, it seems it came from the factory that way, maybe using up whatever parts they had left lying around.

Damn these sound soooo good.
    A secret weapon used by The Beatles on alot of tracks!
    It's still in the Harrison families possesion.

I seriously doubt that Fender installed a cobbled together power transformer.
    "The power trans was replaced with a period correct one, most likely a long time ago, and it has a second smaller power tranny just for the 5v supply needed for the rectifier tube. By the look of it, it seems it came from the factory that way, maybe using up whatever parts they had left lying around."

Comment

Maybe it was the 61-62 transistion amp (the Tube rectifier was changed to SS diodes and the rectifier chassis hole has a cover on it)
      I have such an amp. Oxblood grill cloth.
      The cabinet has the holes punched for the 'dog bone' handle but in '62 they changed to the chrome cap/ single screw and it has such a handle.
      So my cabinet has six holes for the handle.
      It may be that over the years someone wanted the rectifier installed.
      Hense the added on 5 volt transformer.
      Cleaned up & tuned up it is a fine sounding amplifier.

Comment

drewl, that's the circuit and the rectification I have too and it is soooooo damn good too!! That's funny about your handles, Jazz~ I think I'll do that too on the brown 212 cab so a bf head will fit better piggyback style.

Comment

Originally posted by deci belle View Post
          drewl, that's the circuit and the rectification I have too and it is soooooo damn good too!! That's funny about your handles, Jazz~ I think I'll do that too on the brown 212 cab so a bf head will fit better piggyback style.
          Always was amused @ some of those early Fender heads that had a rectangular cutout on the "floor" of the box. To fit the handle of the speaker cab, so they could be stacked with those dogbone handles on.

Luv them old white Bassmen, and there's another fan - Craig Chaquico - there's a name you haven't heard in a while. Sad story his rig including FIVE of 'em was wrecked in Germany, crowd rioted when Starship show was cancelled, late 70 - early 80's. Gracie partied it up too much night before & couldn't perform (imagine THAT!). One expensive hangover ... put "bummed out" smiley here.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I've seen the video of that drunken Grace concert.
            Five Blondes were destroyed at that gig?
            OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
              I've seen the video of that drunken Grace concert.
              Five Blondes were destroyed at that gig?
              OUCH!
              There were LOTS of drunken/stoned/wacked-out Grace shows, doubtless some got on film/tape. In this instance the band was a no-show. The crowd was "set up" for a riot because at that time, an unscrupulous (to say the least) promoter had sold tickets to a number of shows, 4 or 5, various bands, and never had hired a band - claimed no-shows & kept the money. I don't know if it was the same promoter or not but the punters were not going to put up with getting ripped off any more so they struck out with violence, trashing the stage & all gear. Maybe I'll get off my lazy butt & look it up so you can read chapter & verse on it. I think I read the account in Guitar Player or possibly Recording Engineer/Producer. Would have got a mention in Rolling Stone too.

Grace COULD put on a good show, frighteningly good, when in the mood for it. AND the rest of the band. Live Airplane "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" has some moments.

- - - - -

edit: googled Starship Germany Cancel Riot and voila' ! It was 17 Jun '78.

Pete Sears got his Irwin/LIeber "Dragon" bass back just this last May. Read up:

Jefferson Starship's Pete Sears Reunited With Stolen Bass After 35 Years | Music News | Rolling Stone

more, the OA's were Brand X and Leo Kottke !!! Dang! Of course I think we all have a lot of respect for Kottke. And Brand X - if I'm not mistook that's Phil Collins playing jazz rock confusion, what a show... Read allaboutit:

The Hangar

OK can't find any mention of Craig's 5 white Bassmen but maybe you will if you look further....

- - - - - -

OK 'nuff side-trip. Back to the white Bassman, long may it wave!
              Last edited by Leo_Gnardo; 08-12-2013, 01:47 PM.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
              X